Battery dead.

General SCOOTER talk. Please use the tavern for "other" general topics.

Moderator: Site Moderators

Battery dead.

Postby gruntled » Tue Apr 21, 2020 21:43 21

Not too surprised. I haven't ridden since this thing began. Just one more thing I hate about the Majesty is the hassle to get the battery out. Charging it now. I think I may leave the cover off. Wonder if I could come up with something that would keep any rain out?
gruntled
Insane Poster

MajestyUSA.com
Advertisement

Re: Battery dead.

Postby jggimi » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:14 06

If you need to remove it, I've seen tie wraps used as a method to hoist the old one out.
jggimi

Postby gruntled » Wed Apr 22, 2020 17:40 17

I just take the rear seat & rack off. The biggest hassle aside from the cover is getting the hold down strap back on. I charged the battery last night & when I put it back in this morning the bike fired up as soon as I hit the switch.
gruntled
Insane Poster

Postby gruntled » Tue Jun 30, 2020 16:47 16

I think this may be the end of the line for my Majesty. It's possible the battery may be all that's bad but I suspect it is the generator. I would gladly sell the bike for what it would cost to replace the generator. I charged the battery last night & it shows a 100% charge & 13+ volts. I will let it set a couple of days & if the battery still has a nearly full charge I will assume it is the generator. I suppose I could still use it for short trips & just charge the battery every few days at least until the registration & insurance runs out in a couple of months.
gruntled
Insane Poster

Postby gruntled » Thu Jul 02, 2020 22:05 22

I may have solved the problem. I charged the battery to 100% two days ago & left it on my work bench. It now shows a 75% charge. That should mean a bad battery rather than a bad generator. I would not spend what it would take to replace the generator but I have found a battery on Flea-Bay for $32 w/free shipping that claims 170 cca. It's worth that to see if that solves my problem.
gruntled
Insane Poster

Postby jggimi » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:27 06

I have not yet had to replace the battery on my Maj. I replaced the one on my 1150RT last year. It's located under the back edge of the fuel tank. I had to pull fairings -- dozens of hex bolts, many with different lengths, so they needed to be pulled and taped onto the fairings to be sure the right sizes were reinstalled in the right holes -- pull air cleaner housing and air intake furniture, and even line up a stool alongside the bike to hold the battery's weight as I disconnected and reconnected terminal wiring as the old one came out and the new one went in.

I gotta believe removal and replacement in the Maj is easier. :D
jggimi

Postby Cynigal » Sat Jul 04, 2020 20:39 20

Easiest thing to do is just get a battery tender. That's what I do if I'm not going to ride for a while. Super simple solution.
I took my M1 test on a 250cc Honda, which they called a motorcycle. So, why is my 400cc fuel-injected liquid-cooled dynamo not a "real bike"??

2005 Galaxy Blue Majesty with a Corbin Smuggler and custom Corbin seat
Cynigal

Postby gruntled » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:55 03

Battery tender won't do much good for a bad battery. I don't want to get stranded far from home. My wife gave me a hard enough time over driving less than ten miles to get me & then later taking me back to get my car after I had charged the battery & brought the bike home. I'm hoping the problems I had starting the bike will be solved with the new battery.
gruntled
Insane Poster

Postby gruntled » Mon Aug 03, 2020 13:44 13

The new battery was useless. It wouldn't even light up the instrument panel. The battery charger showed 12.5 volts & 100 % charge. I went to a battery store & they said it only showed 7 amps. I bought a new battery from them for MUCH more & it is working fine. I called the on-line place I bought the battery from & they gave me a refund & told me to just keep the battery.
gruntled
Insane Poster

Postby minimac » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:41 08

They don't want a battery that won't hold a charge either!
minimac
Turbo Poster

Return to General Discussion