Tire Install Cost

Yamaha TMax Specific

Moderator: Site Moderators

Re: Tire Install Cost

Postby alaskaguy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:53 05

Just an update for my records. I was looking over things and it seems like it hasn't been THAT long since I replaced my FRONT tire. I was right. I ordered a pair of tires from bikebandit.com on October 17 2017. I did that because I needed a front tire right away and figured I would replace the back tire later.

So, I'm sure I must have put that front tire on in October...pretty sure I didn't do it THIS year...and winter was bad, so October or so seems about right. My starting mileage for this riding season was 34,014 (April 15)....I think. I took a picture of my odo on that day..I can't imagine why else I would have done it...oh...nevermind..I know why. I changed my oil. Duh. OK..well...either way....I probably changed that front tire between 33K and 34K miles in October 2017. Just making that note here to keep track of it (:

Alas...I have two new tires on my bike...should be good for 2 years or so. Rear brakes look good too. I should order a pair of tires in a year so that I have them on hand when I need them (:

But while I'm here....I paid $35/each to have these tires mounted and balanced. With the cost of the tires ($110 front and $151 rear), that puts my replacement cost at $145 (front) and $186 (rear), or about $332 total. Compared to the costs I paid to have them replaced ON bike (https://www.majestyusa.com/forums/viewt ... 10#p146154), I saved $74 PLUS two trips to the shop (drop off and pick up). also got the satisfaction of ensuring things are lubed properly and inspecting my brakes while I was at it. Seems like a good deal to me.
alaskaguy
Insane Poster

MajestyUSA.com
Advertisement

Postby Sku-Torr » Tue Jul 31, 2018 16:27 16

When I did my last rear tire the local shop where EVERYONE gets their tires changed it out (off the bike) for $10. :lol:

That and a $14 bottle of Ride On
https://www.amazon.com/Ride-Tire-Balanc ... B00DX8BTUG

to balance/seal and I was set! 8)
2009 Custom Tmax
(Winkers, GIVI Airflo, Tail Tidy, Short Mirrors, MIVV Exhaust, HH Pads, Short Levers, Grip Puppies, Dr. Pulleys, Malossi Spring/Torsion Cont., Pilot Road 4s, River Rd Luggage, Lexan Dividers, B/R Risers, 12v Outlet, LED Seat Light, Seger Horn, Push Button Gas Cap, Seat Springs)
Sku-Torr
Insane Poster

Postby alaskaguy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:30 07

Sku-Torr wrote:When I did my last rear tire the local shop where EVERYONE gets their tires changed it out (off the bike) for $10.
The drive to California and back would eat up any savings to be had.
alaskaguy
Insane Poster

Postby alaskaguy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:32 07

In other news - on the ride to work this morning I was thinking about it and I realized that I'm now on my 4th front and 5th rear tire:

Front: OEM, Metzler Feel Free Wintec x 2, Metzler Feel Free

Rear: OEM, Metzler Feel Free Wintec x 2, OEM, Metzler Feel Free

That's at 34,000 miles - with the rear brand new and the front put on maybe 2000-3000 miles ago. So, that comes out to an average of 11,300 miles for the front tire and 8,500 miles for the rear tire. Just FYI for me, and anyone else looking for such info.
alaskaguy
Insane Poster

Postby alaskaguy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:00 09

Replacing front and rear pads at 41,247 miles.

Looks like rear pads were last changed on 8/10/18 @ 35,951 miles, probably when I last changed that tire. Pads have life on them - but I'm changing them anyway.

Also replacing front and rear tires at 41,247 miles.
Changing my oil too.
No one cares - I just post it here so I can refer back to it later if I want to.

That is a big hit to my average, dropping the from to 8250 miles/tire and the back to 6875 miles/tire.

Rear tire had a 24 hour leak and I got tired of putting air in it. Otherwise could have made it through the rest of the season since I am not planning to go anywhere...same for the front. But I figured screw it, I have the tires here - why push my luck? Since I had the tires off, I looked at pads. I could probably push my luck there too - but pads are cheap, so why not?

Supposed to to be $25/tire (loose) to install my tires.

So, new tires and pads, front and back @ 41,247 on 24 July 2020.

Brake version of this thread: https://www.majestyusa.com/forums/viewt ... 63#p309463
alaskaguy
Insane Poster

Postby minimac » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:03 08

Interesting. I follow to see how my Majesty stacked up with tires and brakes.
minimac
Turbo Poster

Postby alaskaguy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 15:24 15

Tire shop charged me $80 to mount and balance two tires, instead of the $50 they quoted me. ***banned word***.
alaskaguy
Insane Poster

Postby alaskaguy » Fri Jun 26, 2020 14:14 14

OK...some corrections. I did not replace the rear brakes on 8/10/2018 on the TMAX. The picture I found was for my wife's car (:

Since owning my scooter, which has 41,247 miles on it, I have:

• replaced my front tire four times
  • replaced my rear tire 5 times
  • replaced my front brakes 3 times
  • my rear brakes twice
In that time, I have replaced all the brake pads and both tires at the same time only once (my most recent maintenance).

I decided I did not want to rely on this forum anymore for my records - since it is so dead I figure it could go away at any time. So I went through the threads, my pictures and my order history on various websites to construct an accurate history in a spreadsheet. I'll maintain that on my computer. But for anyone who has been following along - the following is confirmed to be correct:

https://www.majestyusa.com/forums/viewt ... 63#p309481
alaskaguy
Insane Poster

Previous

Return to TMax