Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner

STOP LIGHTS NO CHANGE

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  buellboy9 
#1 ·
My tmax doesn't trip the red light sensors anyone got the fix?
And thank you for the headlight modification

#2 ·
The tmax is big enough to trip almost all lights. Not like a Vespa that may not have enough "mass". The Vespa riders add a big magnet under their scoots to help trip the signals.

When I have that problem (and I have) I call the local city or state street/highway people and let them know that a "certain" light doesn't trip. Tell them the Tmax is as big as a Harley and should trip the light. Most city's/state's want to know when a light doesn't/isn't set correctly. It can cause accidents, and lawsuit.

Be specific as to which light, direction, lane, and any other info you can give them.

#3 ·
Traffic light sensors are NOT triggered by the mass of the vehicle, they are a magnetic sensor that detects a vehicle via the ferrous metals in an automobile's (or truck's) chassis. Since the majority of a motorcycle (or our TMAX) is constructed of aluminum and plastic, there isn't enough ferrous metals (iron, nickel, etc) to trip the sensor.

Report the intersection to your local traffic department, they CAN adjust the sensitivity of the sensor. Position yourself about a foot to the side of the wire stripe in the asphalt (typically, you'll see a rectangle in the intersection by the stop line; the wire is buried under the lines, and the lines themselves are a sealant to protect them). Do not stop directly over the line, as the sensor will NOT detect you there.

On a motorcycle, lowering the sidestand tends to put more steel in the proximity of the sensor, but on our TMAXes, that will kill the engine and you'll have to restart.

Another option is to pull as far forward as possible and HOPE a car pulls up behind you and close enough to trip the sensor for you.

Some of my friends bought that "Green Light Trigger" doo-hickey that some catalogs advertise. Essentially, it's a powerful magnet you mount somewhere on the bottom of your scooter or motorcycle and it is SUPPOSED to trip the sensor. Results, however, are "mixed" at best. Many States have enacted laws that allow motorcycles to run red lights IF they've waited a reasonable amount of time and the light hasn't changed, and the traffic conditions allow you to safely pass. I'd check with your local laws first before trying this, though.

Hope all that helps.

#4 ·
OH!! One more IMPORTANT note:

Just because the magnetic traffic light sensor doesn't detect you, if you decide to run the light be aware that the motion detector in the Red Light Camera WILL!!

A lot of States (I can't safely say "Most") will also provide a video of the vehicle running the light, so make SURE you wait an appropriate amount of time before running the light; it'll help your case better if you should get a summons in the mail to be able to show you waited a long time for the light to change before running it.

#5 ·
And because so many traffic lights are oblivious to us two-wheelers, some states are (finally) passing laws allowing us to proceed through a red light after waiting a "reasonable" amount of time.

I do that whether it's legal or not. It's totally ludicrous to expect someone to sit indefinitely at a red light that refuses to change.

#8 ·
The newer controls don't use the senser in the pavement. A lot of our newer intersections have something that looks for traffic mounted near the lights. But for the old ferris metal detection type, I asked the Chief of Police what to do if the light won't trip and he said to treat it like a 4 way stop sign. He said to come to a complete stop and give the system time to change, but if it won't to procede when clear. Not all States or cities will allow this, so check before you do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.