Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner

Tmax 500, annoying sound

24K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  gary280672 
#1 ·
Looked for this issue on the tmax subforum, but I couldn't find it....
So, the problem is.....

I have 2008 Tmax with 25k miles, i've changed v-belt, rollers, re-greased variator, engine oil, transmission oil and all filters just 400 miles ago...
Everything was done by myself...
This sound was present when i bought the scoot, and it is still here after the maintenance.

Now about the sound....
Scooter accelerates great, without problems or prolongations....but when i open the throttle and the tacho gets to 5000 rpm, strange sound like sound of resonance is coming from the bottom of the scoot....it's there for a half a second, and it dissappears....it's louder then a serial exhaust sound..
Nothing before 5000rpm, only on that rpm.

I tried to ride the scoot exactly on 5000rpm range and I can hear that sound....But it dissappears when I ride it slightly over that rpm point...I think that sound has range of 50rpm :)

I'm crazy about it it's very annpying and it keeps comig back every time I accelerate .....
Are there any similar cases like mine, what to do and what to check?

PS Sorry for my english

See less See more
#27 ·
I noticed my muffler was making some "rattling noises" from the head shields on the outside when I started it up yesterday. Will have to take a wrench/screwdriver to them.

#28 ·
don't know if this was mentioned, and it's likely not it, but I'll throw it out there. I recently replaced the belt and rollers (to dr. pulley's) on my SYM Citycom scooter and noticed a weird sound coming from the rear of the scoot. i spent about 30 minutes in a parking lot with a buddy of mine taking turns riding the scoot trying to determine the location of the sound. i thought for sure it was variator or clutch or belt or combo. right before we were leaving, i rolled the rear wheel back because i wanted to compare how smooth (or not) it was with his scooter. then i rolled the rear wheel forward and we both heard the sound. it only happened going forward not backward.

you may want to see if you can hear the noise if you roll the wheel fast either forward or back?

at any rate, i went home and took off the clutch/variator and rolled the wheel forward and the sound was still there. i looked all around and couldn't figure it out. i didn't think it was the case, but around the same time i did the variator work, i also removed my rear brake to check the pads and put it back on the same way i had done before when i originally replaced the brake pads. sure enough, with the brake caliper off, the sound was gone! i carefully re-attached the caliper and the sound went away.

i don't know exactly why, but it had to do with the brakes.

good luck.

#29 ·
Tried that already....but the ptoblem isn't in the brake pads or the brakes itself...
I noticed that the metal seal between the case and the variator cover is missing...probably previous owner destroyed it when he was changing v belt on 20000km and didn't replace it.
Could that be the source of the resonance!? I hardly believe that but i would like to hear your opinions....

#33 ·
buy the metal seal and try that out.

#34 ·
Has the "driven pulley" EVER been serviced????? May need two new O-rings, and two oil seals, plus a good cleaning and repack with grease.

Too many people just change the belt and never take the driven pulley apart and grease the little pins that guide the two halves of the pulley. The lack of "road resistance" when you have the scoot on it's center stand may have put less load on the pins, and they didn't resonate at the 5k rpms.

#35 ·
no, driven pulley hasn't been serviced yet, and it has around 26k miles....
Ordered today metal gasket for the crankcase and four new pins for the driven pulley from my local Yamaha shop...
I hope, I really hope that after I change those two parts and give a proper cleaning and greasing, my problems with Tmax will disappear...

#36 ·
Make sure to have the O-rings and Oil seals handy if you see grease coming out the ends of the driven pulley.

I have a video on taking the driven pulley apart at my YouTube site. It's part of the series on changing the belt at the 16k service.

Also, make sure to "observe" the locations of the "marks" on the outside of the driven pulley and put it back the same way it came apart. I think it's been "balanced" in that position and will work better if it's returned to the OEM placement. The SM talks about this.

#38 ·
Hello....
Little update of the situation....
Are these grooves worn out?
Took apart secondary drive, cleaned it, and this are the results...
I tried to measure grooves om there worn out section, it seems that they are only around 0,1mm wider.
What do you guys think? Could this be the source of the vibration/resonance sound?

Attachments