Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner

Tmax 500, annoying sound

24K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  gary280672 
#1 ·
Looked for this issue on the tmax subforum, but I couldn't find it....
So, the problem is.....

I have 2008 Tmax with 25k miles, i've changed v-belt, rollers, re-greased variator, engine oil, transmission oil and all filters just 400 miles ago...
Everything was done by myself...
This sound was present when i bought the scoot, and it is still here after the maintenance.

Now about the sound....
Scooter accelerates great, without problems or prolongations....but when i open the throttle and the tacho gets to 5000 rpm, strange sound like sound of resonance is coming from the bottom of the scoot....it's there for a half a second, and it dissappears....it's louder then a serial exhaust sound..
Nothing before 5000rpm, only on that rpm.

I tried to ride the scoot exactly on 5000rpm range and I can hear that sound....But it dissappears when I ride it slightly over that rpm point...I think that sound has range of 50rpm :)

I'm crazy about it it's very annpying and it keeps comig back every time I accelerate .....
Are there any similar cases like mine, what to do and what to check?

PS Sorry for my english

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you checked that every body panel and the mechaincal mounts, like lights, exhaust system, cooling system, regulator, battery tray, cables, pipes, hoses, and whatever else under the body panels are all there and properly placed and tightened? Also, thump the muffler with a non-metallic mallet and see if the internal baffles are loose or not.

If you find it, let us know what it was.

#3 ·
I checked the muffler, took it off and install other one from my friends max....it was the same, sound was there....
I have to strip the plastics down and check all joints and bolts....I really don't know what else could be, if there is some kind of failure, problems would be present all the way, not just at that rpm!?

It's making me crazy..

#4 ·
Don't worry, your English is actually better than for some on the Forum who were BORN here...

RPM-dependent noises are notoriously difficult to track-down. It might be variator noise, if you guides or rollers are worn. How many miles are on your Tmax? Is it the original variator?

#5 ·
Original vario, original rollers changed 400 mile ago...also changed v belt, dayco kevlar reinforced...sliders have 10k miles, but they are in good shape, and i don't think they produce problem...or maybe I am wrong about them...
I must say that this aftermarket belt is louder than original, especially when it's very hot outside..

#7 ·
No, there are no problems with belt, i think that kevlar reinforced material is a bit louder when in contact with vario and clutch plates...
That resonance sound was present before and after i changed the v belt.

The sound that annoyes me is like when you have bolt with nut and washer which is not tighted and there is a little play of the washer..when the washer hits the frequency of the resonance it produces that noise....i hope you gusys understand, i don't know how to explain it better...

#8 ·
If it always comes in around 5000 rpms, then I would say it has to be around the engine more than other parts of the frame or body.

Look to see if the radiator and it's frame work are tight, and if there is anything loose around the air intakes.

I don't know if you would get that kind of noise from a loose oil pump chain, or the chain going to the valve train. Sound's like it is a piece of metal around the engine that is loose. Are the cover plates for the variator case tight, and the variator air filter cover also tight?

Look for loose hoses for the "emissions" part of the engine that goes to the "canister" and the injectors on the LH side of the scoot.

Look for missing clips that hold the metal line that goes to the rear brake.

#9 ·
The aluminum heat shield on my BMW's muffler used to vibrate/resonate at a specific RPM.

SOMETHING is vibrating and needs to be tightened a bit.

#10 ·
Stripped all the plastics around engine, checked bolts and nuts, but nothing seems to be loosen.
Talked to the previous owner, he didn't change vario sliders from the day one !!!???
Sliders have 25000 miles.....are they the real reason of that ugly sound!?!?
They looked good, i must admit that they have signs of wear but nothing out of ordinary...on that rpms even 1/5 mm can make a difference...
Any advices maybe?

#11 ·
It is amazing how sounds can be redirected in the bodywork and fool you about where it is comming from. The only advice I can give at this point is to keep removing tupperware and keep checking for loose, broken, or missing bits and pieces that hold things together. Check everywhere, not just on the underside or near the motor.

#12 ·
I used to have an intermittent annoying sound from the back of the Tmax...then my wife quit riding with me! :lol:

#13 ·
I just thought of something, have you emptied your under seat storage, including the tool kit strapped to the underside of the seat and the glove boxes and tried 5000 RPM?

#14 ·
When it gets worse it will be easier to find. Does it do it at 5000rpm on the center stand? If so then you may be able to locate it.

It sounds exactly like a loose something-or-other which is simply vibrating at a specific resonance.

Do you do 5000rpm often?

If it ain't broken (yet) don't fix it :)

#15 ·
Little update....
I've changed sliders in the vario...
Bought dr pulley....
I was so excited to see if the sound will dissapear....but guess what...it's still there....
I'm going to loose patient with this scoot...

Only on 5000rpm when accelerating and when driving on that rpm range...
Tools under the seat aren't problem...

I don't know what to fo anymore, where to look what to check...

#18 ·
Speed sensor has been greased...
Sound is like metal in resonance...so all other things like plastic, brake hoses, plastic clips etc are not the source of the sound....

Can gears or transmission chain or valve chain which are in oil bath produce this kind of noise?

#19 ·
Have you checked the bolts holding the rear fender to the frame?

Have you switched to aftermarket rear fender?

Checked to see that the license plate is on tight?????

Is this a "sound" or only a "vibration", or both of them that you have?

Have you pulled off "all" of the panels to check for loose wires, hoses, pipes, brake lines, radiator, etc.

Do you have a top case carrier on the scoot?

What added equipment have you added? That may be a source that we don't know about.

You "feel" it with your butt, feet, legs, hands, ears, etc.

"Fast feeling/sounding vibration or slow"?

#20 ·
uhh so many questions....
maybe the best thing would be to record the sound during the drive :)

As I said before, everything is stock, except dr pulley sliders on the stock vario....
There isn't any lag in acceleration or something else connected with that sound of vibration....
So I think that it couldn't be any mechanical failure or something similar.

When I fully open the throttle, and the rpms come to 5000 mark, some sound of resonance or vibration appears and disappears quickly.
But when I try to drive the scoot at exactly 5000 rpms that f... sound is present all the way...just on that rpms...

I don't think that drivetrain which is in oil bath could produce that metal vibration sound...it sounds like it's somewhere outside the engine, gears and clutches...

I know!!!! it's the sound like loose exhaust heatshield underneath the car....exactly that sound, when it hits the resonance...

#21 ·
Check to see if the "side stand rod" is a bit loose in it's holder. That has enough "mass" to maybe vibrate at that rpm range if it's loose in it's holder.

Put some tape on it to hold it tight to the frame and also the side stand return "spring" and see if that makes the sound go away.

#24 ·
Look for a loose bolt/nut on the center stand if the noise went away.

It could also be the spring used to hold the center stand up when riding.

Put the scoot on it's side stand and wiggle the center stand, and the spring that keeps it up. It may be loose, or the spring is hitting something when the center stand is in the "up position".

#25 ·
Little update....
Still in pursute for that naughty sound :)

Took the whole center stand down today, but still no progress.....

I'm loosing options here and I really don't know where to look further any more...

Sccoter is great, I really enjoy driving it, but I can't stand that f... sound in my ears.....so the only thing I could do is sell it ;)