Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner

Tire Install Cost

12K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  alaskaguy 
#1 ·
Well, for front and rear, dealer quoted me $50 on bike, $130 off bike.

I'm inclined to think that for $80, it's worth making removal and replacement of the wheels someone else's problem.

What's the word?

#2 ·
It's the only thing I have the Yamaha dealer do on my Tmax. If I get the tires through him, the install and balance is only $50 and he matched the low internet price I found price on the Diablos. Worth every penny... :lol:

#3 ·
Good choice mate
Glad to see you are not a swear word and gone to where the sun dont shine the dark side.
Im afraid that is just for dim pickles that ride a flat road or are to misrible and dumb cause they think uncle sam is trying to screw them .
And he is probabley.
Its not about cost just performance

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
maxiscoot nz said:
Good choice mate....
Its not about cost just performance
That applies to women as well, I've found... 8)
Sorrow of Darksiding.jpg

Attachments

#5 ·
Well, I found a place 10 miles from here that can do it on Saturday. The other two shops are only open 9-5 M-F. Great customer oriented hours. They also miss out on the business.

The place I found is $7 more than the cheaper of the other two places, but that beats having to take off work twice (once to drop off, once to pick up). This place is $127. The cheaper of the other two places is $120 and the more expensive one was about $140.

So, if all goes well, on Saturday my new winter tires will be installed :)

#6 ·
Hmmm...seems a bit high to me? Here in LA, I've gone to 2 separate shops, and each charged me $35. When I went to get the front replaced, I did take off the front tire fender/cover first.

And I bought my tires online and bungie-corded them on the back. So I gave them the tire, waited, paid my $35 and went on my merry way.

#7 ·
...but LA has a MILLION llanterias!

#8 ·
A nearby shop charges $30 per tire mounted and balanced -- or I can buy the tires from the shop instead of online for ten dollars more per tire and the mount and balance is included.

#9 ·
Oh and if I take off the rim/tire and bring it in, it's $20/tire.

#11 ·
Can anyone else confirm or deny they get charged "shop supplies" for tire installs (car or bike I guess)?

So, I got the Metzler Feelfree Wintec tires installed. They charged me for 1.51 hrs of labour, for $128.35.

They also charged "shop supplies" of $6.42. Shop supplies for tire installation? Smells like BS to me. It's also (pretty much) exactly 5% of the labour charge, which tells me it's just their standard surcharge for labour to cover jobs that actually do use shop materials.

Tax added $9.43, for a total cost of $144.20. Add in the cost of the tires, with shipping ($319.78) and my all-in cost for the two tires, installed, is $463.98. Ugh. Hopefully I will not need to do that for a while.

FWIW, I had 9,076 miles on the stock tires. They probably had a little life in them (esp. the front), but the rear tire probably had only 1000 miles left.

#13 ·
Uh, I OWNED a repair and restoration shop and "shop supplies' for a tire change covers a multitude of consumables; shop towels, tire lube, valve stems, wheel weights, etc. 5% is the industry standard for unlisted supplies used in repairs and shop work. :roll:

#14 ·
Sku-Torr said:
Uh, I OWNED a repair and restoration shop and "shop supplies' for a tire change covers a multitude of consumables; shop towels, tire lube, valve stems, wheel weights, etc. 5% is the industry standard for unlisted supplies used in repairs and shop work. :roll:
What I don't understand is why don't they just increase their labour rate by 5% and leave it off. This way, the quote they give you will match the total. When I call and ask "how much" and they say "1.5 hours of labour, that will be $X", then that's what it will be! Not $X + 5%, which I find out about later.

But thanks for your confirmation :)

#15 ·
alaskaguy said:
a total cost of $144.20 to install two tires, on the bike.
So, that's roughly $72/each. I just paid $46 to have a tired installed, and I already took it off the bike. Interesting....I just wanted to go back and see what I paid before. So...assuming front and rear, that's $92 vs $144...or about a $52 difference. I dunno...for the time, seems like it would be worth the $52 to have them do it all :)

FWIW, I had 9,076 miles on the stock tires.
I got about 13,000 miles out of the front tire....but I rode it past its service life...and the back tire went out on the Labrador trip some time ago :)

#16 ·
we have a tire changer at school...don't know what I'm going to do when I'm done with school though. :cry:

of all my scoots, changing the rear tire on the TMAX is the easiest. except when I learned a tough lesson and snapped the swingarm retaining bolt. Fortunately, I was able to carefully and successfully drill out the bit of the bolt stuck down the hole before class ended. instructor found what he said to be a sturdier bolt and away I went.

#17 ·
I just installed a new Michelin SC on the front and tried to change it out myself. I gave up and took it to the local shop and it was $46 installed and balanced with the wheel off the scoot. I'll replace the rear in about another 1,000 miles. It's rained here in Virginia for a solid month and I haven't gotten much seat time lately. :(

#18 ·
well, time changes all things I guess.

I have changed tires a couple of times since. I just changed my back tire. It cost me $35, off bike. I took it off bike myself, which turned out to be pretty easy. This also enabled me to ensure the splines were lubed up properly too. I inspected the pads, which have about 15,000 miles on them and they look like new.

A couple of weeks and 4000 miles ago ago i did the front tire at a different shop. Hour drive each way, and $50 off bike m&b. Now that I have this new place, I will not be going there any more.

#21 ·
what tire did u have? which tire did u replace it with?

here's some pics from last fall, first time removing the rear wheel for tire replacement.
replaced with pirelli diablo.
tire guy mounted it on backwards, didn't realize it till I got home. :|

https://flic.kr/s/aHskF5EATh

my cliff note for rear wheel removal.

chain drive plastic cover (remove with impact screwdriver, #3 phillip, use anti-seize when tightening screw)
brake caliper bolts (12mm socket, 29ft/lb) + 8mm socket for hose guide bolts
pinch bolt (12mm socket, 12ft/lb)
17/19/22/24mm Hex axle tool (motion pro) + 12" adj. crecent wrench.
wheel hex nut (17mm socket 1/2"drive , 75 ft/lb) + breaker bar + torque wrench

BWT's videos

I did not use the taper stick for the brake caliper, but had no problem putting it back on.

#22 ·
sk8norcal said:
what tire did u have? which tire did u replace it with?
'Metzler Feel-Free Wintec is what was on there. Replaced with Metzler Feel-Free.....only because the Wintec version I have to import myself and it is expensive and I didn't have the $1000 to buy three sets to make it worth while last time around. So I just ordered one pair....the front I put on a while ago.

here's some pics from last fall, first time removing the rear wheel for tire replacement.
Thanks. I've done it a few times before :)

#23 ·
sk8norcal said:
chain drive plastic cover (remove with impact screwdriver, #3 phillip, use anti-seize when tightening screw)
brake caliper bolts (12mm socket, 29ft/lb) + 8mm socket for hose guide bolts
pinch bolt (12mm socket, 12ft/lb)
17/19/22/24mm Hex axle tool (motion pro) + 12" adj. crecent wrench.
wheel hex nut (17mm socket 1/2"drive , 75 ft/lb) + breaker bar + torque wrench
You must like manual work :)

For removal, I use:

• a 20v impact driver with #3 Phillips for the chain drive cover[/*]
  • a 20v impact driver with socket for the brake caliper bolts (don't touch the hose guide bolts)[/*]
  • a 20v impact driver with socket for the pinch bolt[/*]
  • a 20v impact wrench with hex socket and box wrench for the axle[/*]
For re-install, I use the above plus torque wrench :)

#25 ·
alaskaguy said:
Thanks. I've done it a few times before :)
I know u have, it's for the other noobs like me that never done it. :wink:

alaskaguy said:
You must like manual work :)

For removal, I use:

• a 20v impact driver with #3 Phillips for the chain drive cover[/*]
  • a 20v impact driver with socket for the brake caliper bolts (don't touch the hose guide bolts)[/*]
  • a 20v impact driver with socket for the pinch bolt[/*]
  • a 20v impact wrench with hex socket and box wrench for the axle[/*]
For re-install, I use the above plus torque wrench :)
Yes, the electric impact driver is great, especially for those #3 phillip screws.
I do have the Dewalt 20v impact driver.
Need to get the 20v impact wrench.
I do have an air impact wrench, but my air compressor has some issues.

#26 ·
Just an update for my records. I was looking over things and it seems like it hasn't been THAT long since I replaced my FRONT tire. I was right. I ordered a pair of tires from bikebandit.com on October 17 2017. I did that because I needed a front tire right away and figured I would replace the back tire later.

So, I'm sure I must have put that front tire on in October...pretty sure I didn't do it THIS year...and winter was bad, so October or so seems about right. My starting mileage for this riding season was 34,014 (April 15)....I think. I took a picture of my odo on that day..I can't imagine why else I would have done it...oh...nevermind..I know why. I changed my oil. Duh. OK..well...either way....I probably changed that front tire between 33K and 34K miles in October 2017. Just making that note here to keep track of it :)

Alas...I have two new tires on my bike...should be good for 2 years or so. Rear brakes look good too. I should order a pair of tires in a year so that I have them on hand when I need them :)

But while I'm here....I paid $35/each to have these tires mounted and balanced. With the cost of the tires ($110 front and $151 rear), that puts my replacement cost at $145 (front) and $186 (rear), or about $332 total. Compared to the costs I paid to have them replaced ON bike (https://www.majestyusa.com/forums/viewt ... 10#p146154), I saved $74 PLUS two trips to the shop (drop off and pick up). also got the satisfaction of ensuring things are lubed properly and inspecting my brakes while I was at it. Seems like a good deal to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.