Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner

Tmax engine/cvt sound

8K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  pellicle 
#1 ·
I always wonder about this sound ever since I got my TMax.
You can hear it when idling, when the clutch is disengaged.
I don't know how to describe it, kinda sounds like a washing machine. :lol:

Anyways, I took a video.

I am guessing the sound is from the wet clutch pack?
sounds normal?

I also got a "groaning sound" on hard takeoff. I am guessing is the belt slippage. glazed belt maybe??
Planning on taking the CVT cover off when I get a chance. Not sure what to look for... at least clean the two cvt filters.

#3 ·
Lol, I am not too worry about the bike, it seems pretty solid. Just like to learn more about the CVT drivetrain. I like mechanical things in general.

So that sound is from .... the clutch??

Btw, I been really enjoying the scoot, been riding every weekend since I got it. :bounce:

#5 ·
Absolutely normal sounds. The "whoosh" sound is the belt/air flowing around it to cool it.

#6 ·
^ I am talking about that sound at idle, like a "whirling" sound
You can hear that sound actually gets louder as the rev winds down.

I don't hear that sound on this guy's cvt.

but I do on this one.

#8 ·
you won't hear it once you start moving, only at idle.
check out the video, u can hear it getting louder as it revs down near idle.

anyways, when I get the chance to pop the cvt cover off, i can check it out more.

#9 ·
I can't tell you with certainty what it is, but moving parts tend to make noise. Mine sounds pretty much the same. I've had it apart and serviced the CVT (not because of the noise) and it still sounds that way. I don't find it alarming.

CVTs make all sorts of groaning and whirring noises in use. I'm used to it from lots of small scoots before the TMAX. You'll know it if belt slip is an issue. Should see glazed sides of the belt and/or drive faces, plenty of belt dust, premature wear, and sometimes even marks on the drive faces.

#10 ·
thx for the tips,

I am guessing the cvt noise is amplify on the tmax due to it's location, resonating under the plastic.

I had the burgman 400, and I don't remember any noise from the cvt.

BTW, I been wearing these plugs my friend gave me, need to order some more.
on amazon for $20
Howard Leight by Honeywell MAX Disposable Foam Earplugs, 200-Pairs (MAX-1)

#13 ·
ok, the sound at idle could be the sound of just un-even idle combined with some amount of play in the front variator. How many K's and service history?

If you look at some videos of the rollers in the front sheave you can see there is some room for "play"

As to the groaning sound I'm willing to bet you only hear it when you flogg it off at a start (not just feed in gently) yes?
If so then its likely to be a bit of belt slip as the sheaves and springs fight for ownership of that belt when the motor just produces torque as required.

Mine's a 2006 with over 120,000Km on the dial and does this when I'm trying to beat some Subaru off at the lights. I've found that it lessens the groan if you pre-load with just enough RPM before the clutch starts to engage then (just sitting on that RPM, about 1800), nail it when the lights change.

hard to be sure from where I'm sitting thou.

Best bet is wait till something fucks up then you know what's busted ;-)

Clutch is going to be expensive, belt may just be out of spec. Looking at where you got it to in the vid you posted you're most of the way to getting a good eye on looking at the belt anyway.

Best Wishes

#14 ·
Pellicle, thanks for the feedback,

The original post was over a year ago, (bike was a 2009 with around 10k miles at the time, bought it used at the end of 2017)

Yes, the groaning sound is when under hard acceleration from stop.

I had a chance to open up the cvt cover around 12k,

Belt shows very little wear.

I have since sold the scooter at 16k miles, (the scoot ergo bugs my low back, moving on to dual sports)
but I miss it, would have kept it if i have room for 3 bikes....

Anyways, the swishing sound I am hearing is probably just from the belt, that water spray trick is a good test at isolating sounds....

#15 ·
Hi

sk8norcal said:
Pellicle, thanks for the feedback,
welcome

Belt shows very little wear.
I'm not entirely sure wear "shows" one has to measure width. But (assuming you did that) I have the view that: at low RPM there is little tension (gripping) on the sides of the belt belt compare to higher RPM (where weights are putting force and so too is the spring) on the belt. This means that when higher torque is applied that some sliping can occur (which is that groan).

I have since sold the scooter at 16k miles, (the scoot ergo bugs my low back, moving on to dual sports)
I had similar issues with my first one, and slightly worse too is that the feet forward position puts stress on my neck with bumps. I put this down to the angles and curves of the back forcing vertabrae into positions that are not ideal for the wear an tear I already have after more than 40 years of motorcycling.

So far i've loved the riding positions of bikes with a slight angle foward of the back and legs lower (although not rear-set). Some examples were Yamaha FZ750 (80's model) and Yamaha XS-R 700 (which I love the sound from as well as the power delivery).

I've been sorely tempted to get an XSR but the sheer practicality of the T-Max keeps me there (and regular service is a peach too)

Best Wishes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.