Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner

yes, I know, I'm anal ....

4K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  WayneTalbot 
#1 ·
Needed to remove the exhaust to fit the new Matris suspension (still waiting for it), and seeing how rusted it was, I decided to freshen it up.
The wheels needed some attention, so the wheel studs also came in for a clean.
The carbon fibre heat shield was 30% of the genuine Yamaha piece - the original was scratched, gouged, and generally ugly.

Having previous restored eight vintage motorcycles, I am obsessed with everything being perfect, and so cannot help myself when it comes to parts that look, well, less than perfect.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Cool. At first, without my glasses, I thought that was a black cat sitting on a pink towel....

The stock heat shield is odd; it really does scratch easily. I just took it off and put it on a shelf. Naturally, I'll probably drop it a million times and lose it and find it again so that it will be totally beat up when I reinstall it..... Must look for a replacement and the carbon fibre cover looks cool. Source?

#5 ·
alaskaguy said:
So...you're getting a new exhaust. Can I have the old one? My TMAX could desperately use it :)
Really? What's wrong with your stock exhaust? I still have the stock one I replaced with my MIVV Stronger exhaust...not using it ever again... :roll:

#11 ·
WayneTalbot said:
alaskaguy said:
So...you're getting a new exhaust. Can I have the old one? My TMAX could desperately use it :)
No, not a new exhaust, just the old one freshened up.
Clean off the surface rust, fortunately nothing deep, coat with primer, final coat of heat resistant black paint.
Voila !!!
Yeah, I realized I misread it after I posted.

But can I have your exhaust anyway?

:)

#18 ·
WayneTalbot said:
pellicle said:
I've lived in Eastern Finland ... you can handle it Wayne
Wife and I are off to Norway, Finland, and Russia in February, so I will let you know how well I handle the cold.
sounds like a good trip. Feb is often the nicest time, actually snowy and (ignoring Norway) usually dry (not moist, because its well below -10 most of the time (well and write off Helsinki too as that's often moist too))

Main point is to forget everything you have learned about dressing warmly in Australia or the UK ... its wrong.

Dress in layers.

Think (preferably synthetic) layer of longjonhns (pants and top), not too loose, but not sausage skin. A thin micro flecce over that and a decent shell jacket which is a gore-tex alike fabric which will allow transpiration of sweat out into the cold dry air (not build up inside your heavy probably air-leaky coat.

Wear a beanie ...

Eg

Prisma sells nice microfiber ones like this which wick out any sweat ... its nice when its -18 and out of the wind. Clear nights spell cold.

Layers means you can take one off easily ... if you're exersizing (like XC Skiing or just walking briskly) you'll want to avoid sweating, so take the shell off.

Probably don't buy anything before you go, toddle into Prisma or something like that and buy some stuff when you're there. It'll be 100 times better than most of the shit at "Mountain Designs" (or worse Anaconda) and about 1/4 the price.

Woolen sox too ;-)

Enjoy the winter wonderland

Have a good trip :)

#19 ·
pellicle said:
Dress in layers.
Thanks for the advice, but fortunately, my wife and I have experience in that.
We have trekked at high altitude in the Andes, Patagonia, and Himalaya, and are well versed in coping with very large temperature changes.
We have also spent a bit of time in the Antarctic.
All our motorcycle clothing is based on layers, and have some experience with Northern Hemisphere winters.
Not suggesting that we have experienced it all - that is why we are taking this holiday, but we understand the basics, and much of our better clothing was purchased in Europe during some of my business trips. The trip is organised by a very good travel company based in Perth, Travel Directors, and their advice based on their experience is usually spot on.
But ... thanks again, one can never know too much, and advice from those who have been there is always appreciated.

#21 ·
Continuing the refurbishment of the TMax.
Had the wheels repainted, then buffed the brake discs to remove rust and other signs of weathering, removed the patchy black paint and repainted the inner parts of the rotors to match the wheels, and added the blue rim to the drive side of the rear wheel.
Next I will finish refurbishing the brake blocks, fore 'n aft, fit the new pads, install and bleed the brakes, and that part will be finished.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.