Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner

Seat latch issues

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  pellicle 
#1 ·
So either the latch mechanism or the latch release on the ignition switch have decided when and how they will function.
Opened the seat, put my shopping bag in, the seat wouldn't lock down. No big deal, went to my first stop, the seat had closed during the ride, now wouldn't open, no resistance at the ignition. Went to my second stop, seat wouldn't open. Picked up my medication, went out to the bike, seat would open, then wouldn't lock down. Put meds in my jacket pocket, got home, sure enough, seat wouldn't open again.
Service manual has no information on latch repair/troubleshooting.
Any ideas?

Bob

#2 ·
check that the latch mechanism isn't jammed, first look at how it triggers and look at the actuation when the seat is up.

I suggest its probably got some corrosion in it (left out in the rain a lot? Near the beach??) perhaps some lube would clear it up. I'd also put some down the cable (will require some access to get to this).

#3 ·
also, as you didn't say which model you had I can't be sure if this helps you or not. There are two seat types, front and rear pivot.

But here's a quick video of mine.

Just make sure that the lugs are not bent and that its all marrying up neatly.

The service manual I have doesn't say too much, just shows the cable routing and stuff. If you pull a few things off thou its pretty simple stuff.

#5 ·
Solution (of sorts). Once I'm seated, the seat latches without a problem. Then I discovered that moderate pressure on the end of the seat allows the key to release the latches without a problem.

I'm wondering if the fact that it's a Corbin saddle, and a lot heavier than the stock unit, has resulted in a misalignment of the strikers. I did notice that there seems to be a different clearance on the right and left body panels under the seat. Well, I'm the pragmatic sort; if it works, I'm good.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.