Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner

TMax Bar End Weights

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  pellicle 
#1 ·
The bar end weights on my TMax are badly scuffed and I want to replace them.
The standard weight of each is about 200 grams, but Yamaha replacements are very expensive.
There are many alloy weights on the market, but very light, usually around 70-100 grams.
Does anyone have any experience with these lighter weights?
I might just try some, they are relatively cheap, but I doubt that they would do the job, especially on rough Australian roads.

#2 ·
WayneTalbot said:
The bar end weights on my TMax are badly scuffed and I want to replace them.
..., but I doubt that they would do the job, especially on rough Australian roads.
it was my understanding that the design intention of bar weights was purely for removing bar vibrations caused by the motor, and were totally nothing to do with bumps.

#3 ·
pellicle said:
it was my understanding that the design intention of bar weights was purely for removing bar vibrations caused by the motor, and were totally nothing to do with bumps.
Vibration damping is but one function of the bar end weights. The other is to assist in stability of the steering. Taking it too extremes, imagine that you hung 10 kg from each handlebar. When the front wheel encounters road unevenness, the stability of the handlebars helps to prevent wheel deflection. You could try riding down a road hands-off, noticing how well the motorcycle tracks. Now remove your bar end weights, and repeat the ride. If you notice no difference, your cycle is likely well set up, but you may. The weight balancers can play an important role, depending on geometry and whatever else is added onto the handlebars. Not an exact science. I have noticed that electric motorcycles have bar ends, but whether they are simply protective I cannot be sure.

#6 ·
WayneTalbot said:
funkycowie said:
I bought some R&G ones which were lighter and I did not notice a difference.
Thanks, that is the type of response I was hoping for. I will give the new lighter ones a try, and in the meantime, I will recondition the originals - I might even chrome or anodise them.
Thanks again.
and it supports what I said above ... and by the way I've ridden without them and noticed nothing obvious. I would anticipate that the main effect will be had at the higher RPMs

#7 ·
pellicle said:
and it supports what I said above ... and by the way I've ridden without them and noticed nothing obvious. I would anticipate that the main effect will be had at the higher RPMs
Through out the rev range I noticed no difference, pushing it hard on the twisties, hooning at max speed down the freeway, stuck in low speed traffic and filtering, etc. nada difference.

#8 ·
funkycowie said:
pellicle said:
Through out the rev range I noticed no difference, pushing it hard on the twisties, hooning at max speed down the freeway, stuck in low speed traffic and filtering, etc. nada difference.
that's pretty much what I'd expect ... when I was missing the bar weights on my FJ1100 some years back I hardly noticed the difference either. None the less as my original post indicated they were included to help reduce high frequency vibrations (not road shock), but since that time engines have become better balanced and the bars made of different stuff anyway, but the fashion has stuck. If I was to replace mine, I'd probably get the machined alloy ones available on eBay.

The Tmax engine is (in my view) well balanced and smooth. Plus in riding its rare to be outside the 4000 ~ 6000 rpm riding range (well unless you've fooled around with the variator).

Best Wishes

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.