Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner

Drive Belt Tension

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  pellicle 
#1 ·
Checking the user manual, they use a special tool to set the drive belt tension.
Not having the special tool, I figure that there must be a simpler way, somewhat similar to adjusting the tension on a chain, i.e. measure the vertical free play when you pinch the chain.
My guess is that is what other TMax owners do, and what the Yamaha dealer does when they change the rear tyre (or even "tire").
Any guidance would be appreciated, and even-smart-alec jokes are acceptable.

#2 ·
is your bike a belt final drive? (ahh, I just checked the photos, yes it is) I guess you should have mentioned "final drive" because T-Maxes all have a primary belt drive (validly called a drive belt).

The method of measuing chain free play on a conventional motorbike is based on the fact that the swingarm pivot is not the same place as the drive sprocket, meaning that swingarm movement will change the distance between the two points (of center of drive and driven sprocket), the Tmax however has the swingarm pivot coaxial to the drive (super handy).

what does the manual say about measuring tension?

PS: A thread here about final drive belt tension
https://www.majestyusa.com/forums/viewt ... 27&t=62321

so glad I have a chain final drive ... I certainly will never buy one of the belties (as everything has been ruined to make all maintenance problematic and difficult)

it would seem to me that you could do this by hand simply if you have a spring for reference (you know, like a fish scale)

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)

Attachments

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.