Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner

Dying Forum?

13K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Aaron 
#1 ·
So far this year there has been ONE post in Majesty, and EIGHT in Tmax. That's IT. :?:

#2 ·
I suspect its because:
  • Facebook[/*]
  • older owners (who may not like Facebook) are moving on[/*]
  • younger owners are (in my observation) increasingly unable to "wrench"[/*]
  • younger owners are increasingly unable to use the WWW (and only think Farcebook is a magic app on their phone) [/*]
  • in Australia (and perhaps elsewhere) at least new T-Maxes are hard to find[/*]
  • in Australia (and perhaps elsewhere) dealers are still stocking (at a discount) 2017 T-Maxs[/*]
  • you can get a very practical car for the price of a T-Max and (as recently identified in discussion here) people aren't riding their bikes for transport just "pleasure" and so a T-Max won't have the appeal to a "Hipster"[/*]

On the other hand I've been active in trying to help a person with a problem ...

#3 ·
Your drain is spinning in the wrong direction, you know... :lol:

#5 ·
Isn't there agitation about this every year? Remember, it is cold and icy in many parts of the scootering world, and we're all riding scoots that are either out of production or have/ had really small sales volumes. Even the forum is named for an out of production scoot.

Things will come back to life once the weather warms. I hope.

#7 ·
Hey Sku-Tor! Long time no communicate. I'm back in the "scooter fold" after that POS BMW C650GT debacle last year. I've gone back to the reliable brand. Picked up a 2019 XMAX last weekend and have almost 400 miles on it so far. Loving this thing! I wish they were bringing the updated TMAX to the States, but this is actually quite good in the meantime. Enough power to ride the freeway, more underseat storage than the POS, and FAR more storage than my old 2009 TMAX. Maintenance looks a lot simpler, too.

#8 ·
I am certainly hoping this forum is not going away, you all have been so helpful to me and my 4 Majesties.

Getting ready to buy a 2009 Tmax (same PO as my 1st Maj), and it has a few things that need fixed up, loose left handgrip, dead seat lift pistons, foggy Givi windscreen, and probably a few more small items.

Got good tires, 8K miles, owner asking $3500. Is that a good price?

Any advice for a new-to-Tmax person?

TIA...

Pete

#9 ·
Just a few things to keep in mind on the Tmax:

1.) The original Bridgestone tires are garbage; if still there replace with Michelin Pilot Road 4's! Amazing tires, wear well and grip like grim death, wet or dry.
2.) Toss the organic brake pads and upgrade to sintered. Braking performance increase will amaze you!
3.) Put in 16 gram Dr. Pulley Sliders and Guides...gives a Tmax 500 the same performance as a later Tmax 530!
4.) Add the seat strut springs from TBSS! Fixed forever!
5.) Put on adjustable shorty brake levers; then you can two-finger brake like on a sport bike and keep a more secure grip on the handlebars...
6.) Stock windscreen sucks. Go for EITHER the GIVI Airflo (My personal choice and adjustable on the fly) or the MRA double Bubble

...and that's to start... 8)

#10 ·
Sku-Torr said:
Just a few things to keep in mind on the Tmax:

1.) The original Bridgestone tires are garbage; if still there replace with Michelin Pilot Road 4's! Amazing tires, wear well and grip like grim death, wet or dry.
I liked the Pilots too, but have become unavailable in Australia for the 14" fronts, so I recently put a set of these on my 2006 model and ... WoW

https://www.metzeler.com/en-us/products/tires/feelfree

name is "iffy" but they are the most neutral steering tyres I've had on a T-Max yet

#12 ·
Hi, Jaime! 8)

#13 ·
buellboy9 said:
...About the ONLY good thing about that POS C650GT I had was that the FeelFrees were standard OEM from BMW.
interesting, I take it you weren't impressed. I've seen a few BMW's around and wondered what they were like. I've noted that I've seen more of them parked around hospitals where well paid medical staff park than I've ever seen parked at supermarkets or other public places. The one I had a "start off from the lights" go with was a bit limp (but the rider could have just been a bit disinclined too "have a go" as we say in Australia).

#14 ·
I was fine with the C650GT until the cheap shit Chinese-made engine ate itself, and since it was two years out of warranty BMW NA wouldn't do a DAMNED thing for me. That was my fourth and LAST BMW vehicle of ANY kind. They're no longer built to last; they'll last just long enough to live past the warranty and then you're on your own. BMW stopped making vehicles that LAST in the late 90s. They seriously don't build them like my 20 year old K1200LT. That thing is the "Energizer Bunny" of motorcycles with over 214,000 miles on the clock so far. The C650GT didn't make it past 33,000 miles. The warranty was three years OR 36,000 miles whichever came first.

Once BMWNA told me (in the nicest way possible) that I could go pound sand, or spend $4,000.00 of my own money to buy a BRAND NEW engine (not including labor) on a scooter that the Kelly Blue Book said was only worth $5,000 used, I signed the title over to the servicing dealer and walked out.

There is a reason BMW is near the BOTTOM of the Consumer Reports "Motorcycle Reliability" ratings these days. Number 1? Why, Yamaha of course!

#15 ·
buellboy9 said:
I was fine with the C650GT until .... They seriously don't build them like my 20 year old K1200LT
There is a reason BMW is near the BOTTOM of the Consumer Reports "Motorcycle Reliability" ratings these days. Number 1? Why, Yamaha of course!
interesting. I had a K100RS in 1988 which I owned for a few years and put nearly 300,000Km on. At the same time a mates father bought an LT and regularly towed a trailer doing heaps of rallies in his retirement (around Australia) did over 400,000Km before deciding he should give it a rebuild (because well he also had time). When he pulled the pistons out he found that the bore still had perfect hone marks and ended up putting the same pistons back in (with new rings) and took the unused parts back to the dealer to get a refund. He later fitted a side car to it ...

I later bought at K75S with >200,000 on it and the only problem I had in the 100 or so I did was the drive shaft spline failed (rust caused wear).

Back then they indeed made them well .. of my Maxes, I can report that I personally did >100,000Km on my first T-Max (2002 model, daily commuting of 100Km highway per day for a about 5 years which I bought used and my current one (2006) has 120,000Km on it (and I now live in a rural area where it gets plenty of highway miles at 100kmh) and is doing very nicely.

I'm not sure how I feel about the newer T-Maxes as they seem both harder to work on and less robust.

#16 ·
Well, I found an active XMAX forum. Bad news is, it's based in the Philippines and a LOT of the discussion is in Tagalog. Fortunately, "Google Translate" is my friend. Ethnically, I'm Filipino but I never learned Tagalog as I was born and raised here in the States. My father spoke the language, but my mother did not so the only language I grew up with was English.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1708443 ... SEARCH_BOX

#17 ·
I was really excited about the 650 BMW & rushed to the dealer as soon as they got one. Then when I found I needed a ladder to climb on the seat my interest disappeared. I've been looking for a new scooter for several years & there aren't many I would even take as a gift. I did have a little interest in the new Honda 150. The 150 miles/gal was appealing but they slightly downsized the engine from 153cc to 149cc. The problem with that is that it is no longer freeway legal.
Of course it is too small for the freeway but there might be an occasion when you might have to use the freeway.

#18 ·
#19 ·
I would like a Kimco. Back before I bought my Majesty the Kimco 500 was my preferred bike. Problem was they took waaay too long to bring it to market.
At first they started with a good dealer network but that quickly disappeared. The problem now is the scarcity of dealerships. I would have to go a long way to buy one or get service &if on a trip it would be hard to get service or parts. Even the dealers that do exist have a VERY poor number of bikes or sizes in stock.
Long ago I test rode the 250 & 500 scooters and was favorably impressed & their 2 yr warranty is very good.

#20 ·
...but on a trip it won't be breaking-down. Absolutely rock-solid reliable design. 8)

#21 ·
Sku-Torr said:
...but on a trip it won't be breaking-down. Absolutely rock-solid reliable design. 8)
Except Kymco is the company that built the engine in that POS C650GT, and that is what finally broke down and took the bike out of commission. The timing chain tensioner, an issue that was SUPPOSED to have been addressed by a recall, failed causing the valves to self destruct against the pistons.

Be a long time before I ever trust Kymco, too.

#22 ·
LONCIN builds the engines for BMW. kYMCO had nothing to do with the design, that's all BMW. Al KYMCO did was supervise the factory for BMW. Look at the internals/design of the C650 engine...everything is done as CHEAPLY as possible. The KYMCO AK550 engine is the polar opposite in terms of robust, easy-to-maintain design. KYMCO even wraps the entire gas tank in aluminum sandwich insulation to ward off the dreaded "Tmax Fever"... 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.