Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner

Flat Tire

8K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  DontCallItBumbleBee 
#1 ·
Left work one day last week and pulling out of the lot realized my back tire was flat.

I always wondered what I'd do if I had a flat.

Well, fortunately with my commute I can choose to drive through various neighborhoods and stay off main roads, so I figured I'd give that a try. Tire held together and stayed on the rim the whole time, at 25mph or less. I slowed way down on any turn, and I stopped a few times to make sure it wasn't coming off the rim.

I'm sure this was probably stupid but I made it home and now can service the tire without a tow truck and all that. (I wasn't concerned about fixing that tire, I already knew I would just buy a new tire).

What does everyone else do?

#3 ·
Don't put fix-a-flat in there. It creates a HUGE mess, is very difficult to clean off, and usually doesn't work. Check the wheel to make sure it is still straight, but the tire sidewalls are stiff enough that it is possible to slowly travel a short distance if needed. I would consider the tire scrap after doing that, though, regardless of how it looked. You can't see the internal damage caused by driving on it being flat. I refuse to ride on a plugged tire, although I know many have. IMHO, the only way to fix a flat(tread only) is with an internal patch.
(see, this place isn't entirely deserted!)

#4 ·
I have used both non-vulcanizing "mushroom" plugs and the "rope" type plugs which you vulcanize with rubber cement. I won't ride without a plug kit on board.

But I consider them temporary expedients until repair or replacement can be arranged. We can't see if there is any interior damage. So I consider a plug/patch combo repair or a tire replacement mandatory. So far, my flats have all been on tires which were well-used enough that the small cost savings for repair hasn't been worth it, so I've replaced these tires.

(FYI, the CO2 cartridges in these kits provide only temporary inflation. CO2 will outgas through rubber tires within 12 hours, so replace with air or nitrogen soon after any roadside use of CO2.)

#5 ·
Note also that even if the plug comes out you will have a slow out rather than a blowout. I've had a blowout on a rear tire at over 70 MPH & I can tell you that would be an A ride in any park. I feel much better now with the modern tires that don't have tubes & that stay on the rims much better even if flat.

#6 ·
Uggh, I've been riding for 10 years now, same commute every day, and I think I've gotten complacent. I don't even remember that thing they taught us to check each time you ride (brakes, lights, tires, etc...?).

I completely forgot that I had bought a plug kit and fix a flat years ago when i was taking a long trip on the bike.

I don't think I damaged the rim... the tire never came off the rim at all.

I just bought a new pair of Michelin Pilot 4's and I'll be taking the tires up to a shop this weekend to replace.

Next up... replace front brakes and 30K servicing.

#7 ·
DontCallItBumbleBee said:
Uggh, I've been riding for 10 years now, same commute every day, and I think I've gotten complacent. I don't even remember that thing they taught us to check each time you ride (brakes, lights, tires, etc...?).
T-CLOCS. Tires, Controls, Lights, Oil, Chassis, Stand.

Complete checklist: https://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/T-CLO ... cklist.pdf
I completely forgot that I had bought a plug kit and fix a flat..
Replace the rubber bits (mushrooms/rope/rubber cement) at least every other year. I had a puncture I couldn't repair due to ancient products. The ropes disintegrated and the tube of cement was a solid block of chewing gum.

Luckily, I discovered the puncture (and the ancient kit) in my garage instead of on the road somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.