Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner

How are all the Tmax fevers holding up these days?

10K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Cajun_on_a_Tmax 
#1 ·
I have a confession. I really miss riding my Tmax.

Last August I rode her into Houston traffic on a _really hot day. She started putting out white smoke. I have been in denial and despair since then. She's been a garage queen for past year.

So yeah, I fully expect there to be a cracked cylinder wall. I really have no near plans to rip it all apart to check atm. But sometime soon I suspect I will change my mind.

Anyways, about the fever I've been looking over some things and realized I might start adding ZDDP to my scooter oil. Thinking about messing with those bucket tappets has made me wonder if this wouldn't help reduce the running temperatures enough to have the coolant perform reliably and get more service life out of the valves so I don't have a repeat of a cracked valve every 35k miles or so.

wish me luck! Dx

Hope everyone is happy and healthy in these scooter-needed times

#3 ·
Nah I live in a really hot place. its just poorly designed for cooling. although I think additives could be used to stabilize temps on the fluids.

What I really want to know is if any of the mod'ers have tried adding a water-methanol injection system for the T-Max.

I suspect that could offload alot of issues.

#5 ·
I'm finally replacing my pump assy. I've experienced mild TMF a few times. It would get hot and buck with much throttle, and then cool down in a few miles and work fine. A couple of weeks ago, I took one ride in the morning on an 80F day. Then, roughly 4 hours later, I started it up and it stumbled and died. Then didn't want to start at all. The fuel pump was kind of groaning faintly. Enough is enough. New fuel pump is in. Just gotta do the rest of the maintenance while it's apart.

#6 ·
90GTVert said:
Just gotta do the rest of the maintenance while it's apart.
I saw your latest YT content on the TMAX. wow what an impressive channel! I can't wait to see you get to the valves. I don't think I've found any youtube videos on the valve check yet. I've done my valves on the tmax about 4 times now and am about to do it again, but I cbb to film and edit.

I needed to watch your panel breakdown to get me into the mood to do it again.

When I first changed my fuel pump, it was for the same reason - the prime sounded pretty weak. My fuel pump install _never solved my TMF tho. SO someday I might do another fuel pump assembly change when I see the part number has changed again. I am soon going to be turning my Tmax into franken-scoot. Install a larger radiator, add more zddp, install methanol/water injection... whatever I can to get the temps down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.