High Viz Helmet

Helmets, jackets, gloves, boots, rain gear, etc

Moderator: Site Moderators

High Viz Helmet

Postby QueenBee » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:30 11

I just switched over to a high viz helmet from a white one and my first impression is that oncoming motorists see me sooner, at least during the daytime. I don't have any stats to back it up but I suspect lives could be saved if more riders wore them.

I know what you are thinking, "But QueenBee, high viz helmets are so very uncool!" Well, that is true but there is good news for us scooter riders...Scooter riding is considered very, very uncool in the first place so we are all set - we have literally bottomed out in uncoolness already! I know this for a fact because I work with a bunch of manly guys and they have strong opinions about motorcycles. If fact, a male coworker of mine was going to get a 500cc Harley Street bike and was shamed out of it because, as we all know, it is a girly bike...??? So you can imaging how much lower on the totem pole a scooter is.

Anyway this is just my opinion and if it helps even one person switch to higher viz gear, I'll be happy.

Incidentally, and even more uncool, I also ride with a Leatt neck brace.
QueenBee

MajestyUSA.com
Advertisement

Re: High Viz Helmet

Postby QueenBee » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:09 10

I should add to this that I love my scooter and think it's the coolest and best kept secret ever. It's just that for some reason in the US, they really haven't caught on.
QueenBee

Postby minimac » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:17 11

I normally ride with a full face(I have two + a modular). I have an older 3/4 open face that I use only rarely, so for giggles, I masked it off and sprayed it a bright yellow. Friends have told me that they spot the helmet when they see the headlight and it actually helps them judge my distance to them quicker than before. Maybe I'll have to paint the others, since I feel the name of the game is to be seen.
minimac
Turbo Poster

Postby RJ64 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:07 07

Ah, yes, the Hardley-Abelson crowd at work. I love those guys. They make me feel so Majestic on my Majesty as I pass them on the road. They don't talk about my 'Scooter-cycle' anymore, as it is pointless to talk about it's faults, of which there is none compared to their bikes. Then it was "Oh a V-Twin is the only way to ride", so I pulled up on the biggest V-Twin Honda ever made: a VTX 1800. It blows them away in any gear. Now they just shut-up. Good lol. BTW, I'm too big (6'1" and 250 lbs) or I maybe would have bought one of those HD Street bikes. I would have to mod it so much for me that I think a Sportster 1200 would be better. Another 'girls' bike according to them. Pfffff whatever. They are trying to 'win' new folks to their bikes, but....well....not doing a great job at it. I have no problem being 'not-cool' on my scooter-cycle. :D
2005 Yamaha Majesty "Blue Streak" - Darksiding since 11-02-2016
2007 Honda VTX 1800 N "The Beast" - Darksiding since 11-25-2016
2013 Honda Rebel "Franken-Rebel"
Jesus. That's How I Roll
RJ64
Super Poster

Postby QueenBee » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:16 10

That is so funny RJ64. I love my scooter too. The guys at work have tried to pick on me about it, but I just smile. Meanwhile they are either non-riders or their 'real' motorcycles are home in the garage collecting dust.

I love the fact that if I'm first at an intersection, when the light turns green (and the cross traffic dummies have stopped - gotta check) I can squirt away from the cars so easily. It's safer without a car right on your tail in my opinion.

My continued experience with the hi vis helmet is it has really helped, though I still never assume anyone has seen me.
QueenBee

Return to Riding Gear