Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner

Cold Morning Sightings

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Erik_L 
#1 ·
I debated whether I should take the Maj this morning. It was the only day this week that the weather would be dry enough to take the bike. However, the computer said it was 28 degree outside; I knew it was probably colder than that in my driveway. I could take the truck, but it was supposed to be in the lower 50's in the afternoon. I had moved my winter-riding clothes into the living room last night. Hmmm... After some minutes of internal debate, I decided to bite the bullet and take the bike. It might be cold in the morning, but it was still better than being caged.

Gear up and go. The Majesty's display tells me it's 19 degrees. As I start out, I notice my right glove was not fitting over my coat sleeve just right. I attempted to stop on my beat-down-gravel driveway, but felt the bike slip on some ice. Bad idea. Not worried about the road though, I took a very hard look at yesterday during my commute home. Everything will be dry when I hit the blacktop. It was. I turned left out of the driveway and past my in-laws' place when a rabbit shoots out in front of me! From my vantage point in the saddle, the rabbit appeared on the right side of the road at a point equal to the wide part of the windscreen. No time to stop, hold it straight and try not to brake. I tapped the brakes anyway … waiting … no bump. Whew! I don't know if the thing stopped, ran between the tires of what; all I know is I didn't create a speed bump. The rest of the ride was mostly trouble free.

It will never cease to amaze me how your body can tell when the temperature rises just a few degrees. I felt warmer as I topped one hill, though the sun had yet to peak over the foothills of the Smokey Mountains. I looked down to see the temp had risen from 19 to 21. I saw a few deer in the low light near the side of the interstate that I'm sure the 4-wheels didn't a chance to enjoy. They looked like a doe and yearling eating the lower branches off the trees. It made me wonder if the animals were getting better food because of the warm winter we have been enjoying, wet but warm. The moon was an archer's bow in the dawn light.

The best sight was about halfway to work and I had to keep glancing over my shoulder. The sunrise was astonishing!! (so good it deserves two exclamation marks) The slight valley had a crest of black silhouetted trees offset by a pale blue sky highlighted with an intense array of orange-pink clouds. If my phone/camera wasn't buried beneath three layers of clothes, I would have pulled over and captured the moment.

The forecast continues to be a mix of rain and cold. Scoot as often as you're able. You never know what you'll see.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.