Rookie Mistake Need battery help.

Yamaha TMax Specific

Moderator: Site Moderators

Rookie Mistake Need battery help.

Postby fisherob » Sun Jun 26, 2011 13:58 13

Well I left the ignition on and the bike wouldn't start so I had to take off the panels to get at the battery. What a lot to do to just get at the battery so I was thinking of getting a battery tender before I put the panels back on. I am not familiar as to how they work or what has to be done and was wondering if any one would be willing to explain to me how it works and maybe what to buy and install. I just want it to be easier the next time I have to charge the battery. also I hear that it is good to have when you put the bike away for the winter. Thanks in advance.
"Let's Ride"
fisherob

MajestyUSA.com
Advertisement

Re: Rookie Mistake Need battery help.

Postby CRASman » Sun Jun 26, 2011 14:09 14

Shouldn't be to hard.. I believe it's just a simple attach the positive and negative wires to the positive and negative plugs connecting to the battery.... As far as where the tender goes, it's up to you... Just make sure it's somewhere where you won't get water in it.
CRASman
Turbo Poster

Postby fisherob » Sun Jun 26, 2011 15:40 15

Thanks for the info. Can anyone recommend what brand to buy or what I would need. Seems like there are differnt kins and amps.
"Let's Ride"
fisherob

Postby bobsquad7 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 16:39 16

I've been using Harbor Freight 2-stage 1.5 amp chargers for my bikes, lawn mowers, tractor, motorhome etc, . . for several years. They are aprox $20.00 but on sale frequently for $16. They charge at a max of 1.5 amp if the battery is below 12v & then go into a float mode to maintain aprox 13.2V. You can leave them connected to the battery for extended periods without damagong the batt.
I connected a pig-tail (pair of wires) to the battery terminals fed them through the back of the left glove box so I can pull them out when I need to connect the charger. If you do this, crimp some male/female plug-in type wire connectors on the ends & just make sure the pos & neg can't touch when they're coiled up inside the box. Slip some vinal tubing over the ends.
I believe Big-wheels has a youtube video on doing this.
bobsquad7

Postby Shinysideup » Sun Jun 26, 2011 18:42 18

I'd avoid any charger that trickle charges. Left on for a long time, they can ruin our small batteries.

I've always used the Deltran Battery Tender Plus without a problem. It's more expensive and more intelligent than some cheapies. Lots of protective circuitry and comes with a 10-year warranty. I've had mine for over 20 years.

It comes with a fused lead with ring terminals to connect to your battery and the other end has a trailer light connector that is safe from shorting out when not in use.

I just found it online for less than $40 here:

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/ba ... /8041.html

The habit I use to prevent a dead bike is to always take the key out of the ignition when getting off the bike.

Bill
Bill
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Everybody has a plan until they get hit." - Mike Tyson
Shinysideup
MajestyUSA Supporter
MajestyUSA Supporter

Postby CRASman » Sun Jun 26, 2011 19:00 19

Shinysideup wrote:I'd avoid any charger that trickle charges. Left on for a long time, they can ruin our small batteries.

I've always used the Deltran Battery Tender Plus without a problem. It's more expensive and more intelligent than some cheapies. Lots of protective circuitry and comes with a 10-year warranty. I've had mine for over 20 years.

It comes with a fused lead with ring terminals to connect to your battery and the other end has a trailer light connector that is safe from shorting out when not in use.

I just found it online for less than $40 here:

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/ba ... /8041.html

The habit I use to prevent a dead bike is to always take the key out of the ignition when getting off the bike.

Bill

This is the best one! I'd get it.
CRASman
Turbo Poster

Postby bigwheelsturning » Sun Jun 26, 2011 19:03 19

I have a battery tender jr. and the lead ends installed in my LH glove box. I wanted to use the RH side, but there is too much stuff in the way to get the leads inside. The LH side works fine unless you have big hands.

Becareful when you work with the battery bolts. Easy to drop into the void. You can also cut an opening in the wire lugs and just loosen the bolts and slip the lugs on. Just be sure the lugs don't get twisted up/out when you re-tighten the bolts.

I did a video on installing the leads. http://www.youtube.com/bigwheelsturning ... kOjBmuVDlI It was an early video and I should do it again with better lights.
2009 Yellow XP500Y-Y "Rosie" The Yellow Rose of Tmaxes
25,000 Miles of TMAX FUN to date
Laminar Lip, CrampBuster, EU Winkers,Custom Back Rest, SHAD SH-50 Top Case and Rack, SHAD seat, Dual Headlight Mod, GPS holder, Michelin Pilot Sports (new at 15k), Cycle Hill tire changer
bigwheelsturning
MajestyUSA Supporter
MajestyUSA Supporter

Postby CRASman » Sun Jun 26, 2011 19:13 19

Ugh... I hate the void. Lost a screw to it.... :x :cry:
CRASman
Turbo Poster

Postby billmeek » Sun Jun 26, 2011 23:29 23

Doesn't the TMax use an AGM battery? If you have completely (or very close to) discharged the battery, it will effect the battery life. AGM batteries have several good characteristics, but they suffer a shorten lifespan from being completely discharged. It might be in your best interest to replace the battery or a the very least, have the battery tested.

Battery tenders are good for maintaining a battery when there is a parasitic draw. Unless you have added accessories to the bike that are constantly drawing power and are not running the bike for extended periods, you shouldn't really need a trickle charger. If you park you bike for several months at a time (i.e. - long winter storage), them it may make sense to have one installed. AGM batteries are designed to not lose but a small amount of their charge over time (from 1% to 3% per month) ... unlike standard lead acid batteries. So an AGM battery in good condition shouldn't normally need a battery tender during the riding season or even during storage for a few months.
Bill
'03 Burgman 400 in blue
'03 Burgman 400 in silver (rebuilt)
"Yes, I ride it all year round. No, I'm not insane. I'm poor. With insane, you get free room and board."
billmeek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby bigwheelsturning » Mon Jun 27, 2011 18:56 18

Like Bill said, a good battery and some use will keep it changed up. Lots of stop and go short trips are harder on batterys than lack of use.

I only use the battery tender jr. in the winter if it's really cold, and usually only for a week at a time between rides. I also place a 1/4" thick piece of plywood under the centerstand to keep any metal off the concrete floor. Anything to keep the electrons from abandoning ship.
Laminar Lip, CrampBuster, EU Winkers,Custom Back Rest, SHAD SH-50 Top Case and Rack, SHAD seat, Dual Headlight Mod, GPS holder, Michelin Pilot Sports (new at 15k), Cycle Hill tire changer
bigwheelsturning
MajestyUSA Supporter
MajestyUSA Supporter

Postby fisherob » Mon Jun 27, 2011 20:36 20

Well installed the Deltran tender Jr. today. It was a pretty easy task. I installed it through the left glove box . So if I drained the battery by leaving the key on are you guys saying that the battery is no good anymore? This is a new battery only a month old. I just made a mistake of leaving the bike on. Dumb mistake! I have the tender charging it right now. I want to drive it to work tomorrow which is about 50 miles one way and now am worried if it will start after sitting 8 hours while I work. What do you guys think?
"Let's Ride"
fisherob

Postby CRASman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 20:57 20

bigwheelsturning wrote: I also place a 1/4" thick piece of plywood under the centerstand to keep any metal off the concrete floor. Anything to keep the electrons from abandoning ship.

That's a little excessive, don't you think? :lol:
CRASman
Turbo Poster

Postby bigwheelsturning » Tue Jun 28, 2011 18:25 18

It's an old wifes tail/urban legend Crasman. But I've always had a thin piece of plywood under every battery I've ever had in all my cars/vans/trucks. Also keep the sides, and top of the battery clean to keep from discharging along the oily, greasy, and dirty case faces.

The battery should still be good after the charge. Just use a "smart charger" and never with a automobile charger on the "quick/high amp" setting.

A fifty mile ride should be plenty of distance/time to get the battery back up to full capacity. Just don't make a habit of letting it go dead. The best way to kill a battery is to frequently take them below a 60% charge level. They would do this at the warehouse I worked at, and the big forklift/order picker batterys would only last about 6 months. $2600 a pop. They all had sheets of plywood under the batterys. :shock: And before I got there.
bigwheelsturning
MajestyUSA Supporter
MajestyUSA Supporter

Postby billmeek » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:32 03

fisherob wrote:So if I drained the battery by leaving the key on are you guys saying that the battery is no good anymore? This is a new battery only a month old.

If it's a new battery, then the likelihood of it going bad with a single discharge is EXTREMELY small. If you had it on the bike a few years, then I'd be more inclined to replace it. It still wouldn't hurt to have it tested. Many places will check a battery for free.
Bill
'03 Burgman 400 in blue
'03 Burgman 400 in silver (rebuilt)
"Yes, I ride it all year round. No, I'm not insane. I'm poor. With insane, you get free room and board."
billmeek
Administrator
Administrator

Return to TMax