Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many posts here about this.
I can't get those screws to budge!
I've tried all sizes of Phillips screwdrivers.
I push so hard to get a bite on the screw.....the bike wants
to tip over.
This is ridiculous....

·
Registered
587 Posts
First- they aren't phillips screws. If you're going to work on it, you need to get a set of JIS screwdrivers. An impact screwdriver will "shock" them loose. Others have had to drill them out and get them with an easy out. Some have had to grind a slot in the head of the screw with a dremel, and use a regular slotted screwdriver.
I was able to get most of mine using the impact screwdriver( It's fat and you whack the end with a hammer), but one bad one had me drill the head off. When the cover was off, I could get the rest of it with a pair of vice grips. I then replaced all of them with allen head bolts, with a dab of neverseize on them. No more issues.
It is ridiculous, but very common. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I said....."I read many posts here"
So I know what they are (Japanese Std).
"Phillips" is just a general term.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
It's a Yamaha thing. They go out of their way to make everything harder. Look at the battery cover or the oil tube or access to the rear air valve or replacing a headlight bulb. They did it just for the fun of it. On the Virago I had you had to remove the seat, then the gas tank just to start to get to the air filter. To check the oil level I had to lay on the ground & use a flashlight & a rag to clean the glass. WHY two air filters on a single cylinder engine? GRRRRRR!
I'm in the market for a new scooter when they become available & any Yamaha is likely to be at the bottom of my list.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Teddy da Bear said:
I'm thinking of taking it to dealer shop
and just say "loosen them for me".
No problem, but that will be $100. No joke, that's what they want to replace the filters. That's just labor ,plus parts. Oil change, 4100, headlight bulb, $100, oddly a little less to change a tire IF you buy the tire from them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do yourself a favor. If you get those screws out, replace them with metric Allen head screws. The previous owner of my Majesty did that. It has been a great improvement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts