Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if anyone has a line on inexpensive air filters (not homemade) for the V. I inspected my myriad of air filters today on my 07. No way would I need to change them with only 6800 miles on the odometer right? :shock: YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. What stupid idiot would design an air intake right next to the rear tire so that it can suck up every bit of cr*p and water and oil and dirt off the road? I mean, I have never seen filters so dirty on anything, any machine of any kind, except maybe the filter on a wet/dry vacuum cleaner, and after only 6800 miles? It's times like these that I truly miss my Honda Helix. Anybody who has changed their filters knows what I'm talking about. OK - RANT OVER.
What I did is scrub the OEM filters with kerosene, blew them out with compressed air and oiled them with general purpose spray oil. Anybody else do this? I'll home build another filter but I'd rather buy a low cost paper element filter if such a thing exists.
Also, I would recommend to anybody to use anti-seize on the filter cover screws as the nuts embedded in the plastic are aluminum and can weld themselves to the screws. Also, those screws have a dot punched on the head which is a special Japanese standard. To get a perfect fit, take a #2 screw tip and file off just a tiny bit off the very point and it will fit without stripping the screws.
Any help on the low cost filters would be appreciated.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Dennis Kirk or Amazon, search for hiflofiltro air filters for Yamaha majesty 400 .Both engine filters $28 with shipping from Amazon, I uploaded accurate photos because Amazon had either inaccurate or no pictures. 2 weeks later I ordered a hiflofiltro filter for the belt filter, $11 with shipping. Filter material appears equal quality to Yamaha.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi Mark,

These are the AMAZON part numbers (Dennis Kirk was out of stock) I ordered them on a Monday or Tuesday, and I had them a week later. They all come from the same supplier so the shipping was less. Like I said, IGNORE the stock picture of the bottom filter, I uploaded correct ones, Amazon said they put up the picture that the supplier provides.

HiFlo Filter HIFLO HFA4406 YAM HFA4406 YP400 MAJESTY (CRANKCASE) $ 7.77
HiFlo Filter HIFLO HFA4405 YAM HFA4405 YP400 MAJESTY (2ND FILTER) $ 10.73
HIFLOFILTRO AIR FILTER MAJ YP400 1ST HFA4404 $ 11.32

A little more info, like I said in my post, I changed the engine filters first, the Hiflofiltro's fit perfectly. 2 weeks later I ordered the 'crankcase' filter, you have to remove the engine air filter on the side of the variator to get to the variator filter. The new air filter after 2 1/2 weeks were still yellow, I pulled the filter and looked into the airbox and wiped it with my finger and didn't notice any grit or dust that may have gotten by the new filter (I wiped the airboxes out when I changed the filters) The filter material appears to be as good of quality as the Yamaha ones, just less costly. As far as the construction of the filter, its on a par with the OEM.

Why did I replace the variator filter rather than blow it out? It was FILTHY after 20,000 miles and it wouldn't come clean with blowing. I don't know how my dogs hair got in there but I guess it gets everywhere. And the price even with shipping was ~$12.

For what its worth, I also changed out the philips head screws for the air cleaners with socket head screws, the screws that are hidden under the rubber plugs made me abuse the language at times. The cap head screws are easier to get to with an allen key, less likely to strip. I bought a 4mm T handle wrench so it would have the length to get the ones under the plugs. I put liquid paper on the threads to help them remember to stay tight.I saw your comment on the anti-sieze and will check them tonight, it would be just my luck I welded the air cleaners closed! When I took out the philips screws I noticed a reddish material on the threads, I never thought of anti-sieze :!: , I thought it was a threadlocker of some type. I should have known, reddish threadlocker is permanent. Now I am panicking! :?

Joe

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
We had a recent discussion here about replacing the screws. Definitely a good idea at least for the two that are so hard to get to. Much easier to use an Allen wrench than a Phillips screwdriver. I still have the used filters & will have to try cleaning them. I also think it is terrible they used two expensive, hard to get to & badly located air filters. It seems they stayed up late nights designing everything on the bike to be hard to work on. Try changing a headlight bulb.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I ordered them today. After having trouble with Amazon's ordering method I called powersportsuperstore.com directly and spoke to a nice guy named Daniel. He matched the prices on Amazon's site plus beat the shipping by 11 bucks. (14.35 as opposed to 25.xx on Amazon). I ordered two each of the intake filters and one belt-case filter for a total of $66.21 shipped.
Guido, I think your excellent review is posted on the Amazon site. Good idea to check inside the air box. I notice a little dust which looked like it was being sucked past the filter gasket due to the restriction in the element. I'm glad I didn't wait any longer. I also noticed how much smoother my bike is now right off idle through slow acceleration. I'm happy again. :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Received my five filters. It took almost 10 days. The filters appeared the same as the OEM. One thing, the new filters, HifloFiltro brand, had a slight bow along the length of them when sighted down their edge. The filter case will hold them straight and I'm sure that after a few heat cycles they will stay that way. I'm wondering if the OEM replacements do the same ?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I also agree about how stupid the design is, when the majesty is more like a street sweeper sucking up all the dirt. other bikes rarely needed attention yet in a month of riding on my dirt road I need to knock out the filters. i recently switched to foam and it will be some time untill I can ride again due to have just got a replacement knee so I can not coment on how well or poor the foam conversion is. john

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
guido said:
Mark, I noticed the same bowing, it was slight, and when I took it off for inspection 2 weeks later, it mated up just fine.
Good news. Once things get warm they must stay straight. I'll bet the OEM replacements do the same.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have a total of three filters to deal with. There are two air intake filters and one belt-case filter. Both air filters were equally dirty ( one on each side of the bike). The belt-case filter is on the left side underneath the left side air filter. This one wasn't as dirty, I cleaned and re-used it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I will rant too... I only have 1500 miles or something on mine scoot. The 2 filters on the left side are nasty (BAD!) I put 50,000 miles on my car's filter, and I could have probably gone further, and my Majesty's filter looked way worse at less than 2000 miles.

I was interested in the foam filters, but it seems they are illegal in California? I saw air filter foam at the Honda shop, and they had a label stating for off road use only. So scratch that idea.

Thanks for the info about the filters from Amazon and the other site. This will be a way to keep the price down.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Foam air filters are not illegal in California. It just depends upon the particular application. It's done with many bikes and autos. The foam air filter maker is just covering their butt against liability with that statement. You'll find many here have done this modification without any repercussions or performance problems. Do a search on the forum on how to do this easy and cost saving modification yourself.

·
Registered
56 Posts
blipco said:
You have a total of three filters to deal with. There are two air intake filters and one belt-case filter. Both air filters were equally dirty ( one on each side of the bike). The belt-case filter is on the left side underneath the left side air filter. This one wasn't as dirty, I cleaned and re-used it.
The belt case if foam right? My seems to be glued on ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 2007 Majesty with 10,000 miles was delivered from a dealer in Wisconsin[I am in Mn] Thursday. Becky the sales person assured me it was a certified pre-owned motorcycle. That it had had a 50 Check up and came with a 1000 mile/45 day warrany on the Drive Train that I could use at my Local Dealer. Fri-Sat- and Sun I put 600 2 lane blacktop road miles on it and it ran great-got 61 mpg. . Monday I decided to check the Air Filter and Both were covered with a black grime on the outside surface. Looking atr them from the backside[the side with the wire mesh screen they look like new. So Tuesday I got a follow up called from Becky at Engelhart Motors ,Madison Wi. I explained how dirty both air filters were and offered to email pics. Later that evening I got a message that the dealer would be shipping me a complete set of air filters. So I am satisfied with my Engelhart Motorsports purchase. After High School[40 yrs ago I worked for 2 years in a local Yahama Shop before in went into the Army. Plus I've owned 2 used dirt bikes,4 used street bikes,1 new street bike 2 new ATV's and 1 new snowmobile over the yrs. I always did general maintenance myself. I was injured on a construction job 10 yrs ago and the New Bike,ATV and Sled were sold. Really enjoy having 2 wheels under my butt again and the Majesty suits me handsomely.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Also, replace the rubber gaskets/seals between the halves of the two Engine air filters. Your originals are square in cross-section, and allow dirt to go AROUND the filter, eventually destroying the cylinder bores. :shock: There are now upgraded parts from Yamaha, that consist of thicker, ROUND seals that actually work! :roll: Check the engine wear horror stories on this Forum to see what you should avoid...

(Hey, why is a Tmax guy telling him, what about you Majesty riders?)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks to this forum, I pulled the air filters from my new 2005 maj400. Only has 8500 on it, but they were totally black, plugged, and some bugs thrown in. Got all 3 for 50 bucks-basic maintenance cost-so thanks everyone

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sku-Torr said:
Also, replace the rubber gaskets/seals between the halves of the two Engine air filters. Your originals are square in cross-section, and allow dirt to go AROUND the filter, eventually destroying the cylinder bores. :shock: There are now upgraded parts from Yamaha, that consist of thicker, ROUND seals that actually work! :roll: Check the engine wear horror stories on this Forum to see what you should avoid...

(Hey, why is a Tmax guy telling him, what about you Majesty riders?)
They have already gone to bed.
What about the post that FlyRay put up a couple of years back. Best mod for filters end of story. But once again you will still have to clean them.
Big deal

1 - 20 of 22 Posts