Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drivers backrests are a popular item and it seems that the Majesty doesn't have the luxury of these being available, at least in North America. Utopia products say that due to the design of the seat pan they couldn't come up with a solution.
With that in mind would any of you consider using something like the Bikers Friend or Cruiser Bag if you were riding solo?

They seem like a pretty cool solution for long distance rides if you need more storage capacity.

Dave

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Rubble said:
Drivers backrests are a popular item and it seems that the Majesty doesn't have the luxury of these being available, at least in North America. Utopia products say that due to the design of the seat pan they couldn't come up with a solution.
Wanna bet?? Check out my Gallery and look at "His Majesty's Throne". I purchased a Burgman butt bumper and Jac Vinson butt extender for a BURGMAN from a person on the BurgmanUSA site who installed a Corbin conversion. All it took was removing the Yamaha butt rest, drilling 4 holes on the base of the standard JV butt extender to mount it into where the crappy Yamaha butt rest is. The Burgman butt bumper/rest makes a perfect midrest for my back PLUS it gives me a few extra inches in leg length.
His Majesty's throne is quite comfortable for long rides, thank you. :D

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, Blexcroid, I saw your pics after I posted. Although I do give a tip of my hat to you for being creative enough to make those pieces work on the Majesty it is still not what I would consider a reasonable alternative to something like the Utopia unit for Burgmans, ie:fully adjustable, fully finished and designed to fit the seat. (Although the Utopia unit does not allow for the removal of the butt bumper).

Dave

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Your best bet might be to contact a local automotive upholstery shop and have them custom build a backrest for you. Whilst it may be more expensive, it is likely the only way to get a backrest that you are happy with and meets what you are visualising. Sketch something out and take it to them. They will be able to measure you up and build the unit to your height. I think you'll pay less that way and be happier with the results.
I purchased the Burgie backrest & JV unit for a reasonable cost, but I admit that I did not know for certain if I could make it work. Fortunately, the backrest is at a perfect height for my liking.

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to admit that I am picky about stuff like that. If I could afford it I would gladly pay the outrageous cost of a full custom seat with matching backrest. Unfortunately I can't, which is why I brought up the subject of the Bikers Friend and Cruiser Bag as a lower cost dual-action alternative.

·
Registered
381 Posts
www.corbin.com

It looks fabulous, costs $399.

I'm suspicious of it's use for taller riders, tho...once your butt is in that groove, it is not going anywhere.

For us tall types, I'm going to try removing the backstop as mentioned elsewhere. If simple removal doesn't do it, it should be no big deal to extend it upward a bit and possibly bend it backward. I suppose that additional holes could move it rearward to some extent.

At the other end [ ! ] is the Biker's friend type of hard case with lumbar support. This would seem to make really good sense...the important part would be to attach w/o bungies...using nylon straps for a secure mount that could be pushed against.

I'll report back...

·
Registered
52 Posts
The bikers friend would be an alternative. I have a large size Lazy rider bag. Same thing (actually I think the original) that I bought for my motorcycle. Had not tried it on my scooter because I couldn't hook on bungee.

Finally got my passenger backrest and after reading this post, went up to the barn and said let's see if it works. It works just fine. Hooked it on with the bungees through the passenger backrest. used smaller bungees than came with the bag though.

However, I would not use any of these without a passenger backrest despite what biker's friend promotes. They are not that stable without back support. Their round - go figure - roll like a ball. If you need to come to a dead stop or make a quick manuever to avoid something, I sure wouldn't want to be leaning on a round body only held by a thin nylon strap that isn't very stable. At least with the passenger backrest, the roll factor is not there.

My problem is for a trip, I want more space than this bag can give me.
I bought a touring backpack and can't get both on my majesty at the same time like I could've my cycle.

Also don't want to put a case on the majesty. I have one on my little scooter which I love, but don't like the looks on the big scooter as well.
Personal opinion only.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I found this website and spoke with the gentleman himself. He makes a bracket that you mount your original seat bumper onto for the back support and is currently fashioning a pad addition to cover the bolts on the bottom bracket. I ordered one and am currently awaiting it's arrival. It cost about $69.00. The guy said he sold about seven of them and was waiting to hear back from those sold to see if there were to be any adjustments. Here is the link http://www.io.com/~jungle/RV/ Hope it works for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a Kuryakyn Tombstone Backrest Pack (Think I paid about $120). For some reason the prices on the internet vary quite a bit. I'll try to find the receipt and post where I bought it from.

Update: Paid $136.11 which included shipping.
Here is the link where I bought from.
http://motorcycle-luggage.com/Merchant2 ... ct_Count=2

Great for Solo riding. The backrest comes to the middle of my shoulders as I lean back. I'm about 5'9" and find it very comfortable. Looks pretty good on the majesty. Pack measures 12" Long, 12" Tall, 9" wide without the side bags. (17" Wide with the side bags) It does not touch any plastic, it sits completely on the seat.

Pros -
Has a semi-rigid PVC frame inside the pack so you can use it full or empty and it still keeps the same shape and works the same. (The frame can be removed)
Has access on both sides at the top with zippers, flaps and velcro.
Comes with 3 different backrest pads (each a different thickness - 1", 2", and 3"), and they change by zipping them off and on. I took a ride with each of the backrest pads and found the 2" to fit me best (I ride with the seat adjusted all the way back). All three backrest pads have a zipper so the foam can be removed and replaced (A softer foam could be inserted).
The pack also comes with two side bags that attach easily and a rain cover that slips on quickly. (Each of the side bags hold 2 bottles of water easily enough)
It straps on using two velcro straps, and surprisingly they hold it on very well. No bungee cords are needed so you don't have to strap it on or around any plastic. Has "D" rings so you could tie more stuff onto it if you wanted.
The pack has a handle on top and comes with a shoulder strap.
It looks and feels pretty durable, Like a thick canvas type material.
Goes on my Majesty in about 30 seconds and comes off in 30 seconds.

Cons -
To use this backrest pack you have to have a passenger backrest to strap it onto.
You do have to remove it to get to your underseat storage. (It does go on or come off in a matter of maybe 30 seconds.)
It is 12" long without a backrest pad, so the backrest pad actually sits on top the butt rest which means there is about a 1 - 1 1/2" gap between the seat and the bottom of the pack at the butt rest. (Doesn't seem to create any problems. It does make it more comfortable with the pad even with the butt rest)

Summary -
Confortable, Additional Storage, Well Made, Looks pretty good, Price was right.

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
LarryM04 said:
timwj1957 said:
I bought a Kuryakyn Tombstone Backrest Pack (Think I paid about $120). For some reason the prices on the internet vary quite a bit. I'll try to find the receipt and post where I bought it from.

Update: Paid $136.11 which included shipping.
Here is the link where I bought from.
http://motorcycle-luggage.com/Merchant2 ... ct_Count=2

<<<SNIP>>>
What does this "grab" to on the Maj where there's no passenger backrest??
Larry,
I don't think you could use this without the passenger backrest.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought an extender from 3brothersperformance on ebay for about $70.00. The item number was 200232999319 if you can still access it. Their email address is [email protected].

I'm 6' tall and it allows me to ride a little lower in the seat and slouched back a bit as an alternative riding position. Very comfortable for me. It uses the original butt bumper as the top of the seat back and takes about fifteen minutes to install. I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
rothenbj said:
I bought an extender from 3brothersperformance on ebay for about $70.00. The item number was 200232999319 if you can still access it. Their email address is [email protected].

I'm 6' tall and it allows me to ride a little lower in the seat and slouched back a bit as an alternative riding position. Very comfortable for me. It uses the original butt bumper as the top of the seat back and takes about fifteen minutes to install. I'm happy with it.
I got one of those as well, but took it off and will be returning it, or may sell it here.

I'm 5-8, and found that it pushed my butt too far forward and my legs could not extend as far as before, which was way more comfortable!

I'm in the process of searching for a replacement...

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have the 3 Brothers and it works fine, but I have a long torso, and I am 6'. Backrests I find make long rides much easier and comfortable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.