Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

i recently aquired my 2009 majesty 400.
came from a yam T-max 500 (2001 carb model), swapped that one out for a bmw R850R (1999) and didn"t like that and swapped that one further out for the majesty :-D pretty good swapping if you ask me :p

first thing i noticed was that it didn't hold curves as my tmax (even with the tmax having a leaking fork,so only 1 one supporting the scoot).
i just have no faith in it taking somewhat of a curve.thinking about putting some spacers on top of the fork springs and maybe some heavier oil.
tire pressure "looks" good alltough haven't checked it with a gauge :oops:
furthermore i'll go for the dr pulley sliders 15 or 16 grams,i have yet to find out what weight will suit me.
it's got the high (givi?) windscreen wich annoyes me to death. i'll get me a much shorter one.

furthermore, how can i be sure what MJ i have,can i find this in the chassisnumber?
i think in 2008 there was a change?

Cheers, Hannes.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Hannes and congrats on your new ride.

I don't think you can compare a Majesty with T-Max on cornering; they don't even sit in the same league. That being said, Majesty might be more capable than you would've thought. It does take some time for me to grow confidence in pushing my Majesty on twisty roads.

Spacers in the front forks and thicker oil will help stiff up the front end, and I'd suggest you also look into the rear suspension to balance out the overall performance of the bike. Disclaimer: I don't do anything of those as I take mine as a daily commuter and I appreciate her cruising style more than her cornering capabilities.

Dr. Pulley sliders will improve acceleration of your bike but you need to be mindful of the weight of those little suckers. Since you are based on EU, your model might be different from the majority on the forum (like mine), hence the weight selection. You may find the VIN number behind your front wheel or printed on a sticker underneath the seat.

Have fun fiddling with your Majesty and do let us know how you get on.

Cheers Ray

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FlyRay said:
Welcome to the forum, Hannes and congrats on your new ride.

I don't think you can compare a Majesty with T-Max on cornering; they don't even sit in the same league. That being said, Majesty might be more capable than you would've thought. It does take some time for me to grow confidence in pushing my Majesty on twisty roads.

Spacers in the front forks and thicker oil will help stiff up the front end, and I'd suggest you also look into the rear suspension to balance out the overall performance of the bike. Disclaimer: I don't do anything of those as I take mine as a daily commuter and I appreciate her cruising style more than her cornering capabilities.

Dr. Pulley sliders will improve acceleration of your bike but you need to be mindful of the weight of those little suckers. Since you are based on EU, your model might be different from the majority on the forum (like mine), hence the weight selection. You may find the VIN number behind your front wheel or printed on a sticker underneath the seat.

Have fun fiddling with your Majesty and do let us know how you get on.

Cheers Ray
thanks Ray,

i did know where to find the vin but wanted to know how to verify the makeyear in the vin.looking at the headlight,i'm guessing i have a 2008.
EU might have 18gr weights and USA might have the 15 gr weights ,but when installed both with , say 14gr dr pulley, they will be equal.
we allso have some pretty uneven roads wich makes it very clear that indeed there is a WORLD of difference between the tmax and the Majesty... :roll:

we'll see what we can make of it :)

Hannes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FlyRay said:
Does your Majesty look like mine (you can find the photo via the link in my signature)?
mine looks like the one with the topcase so i guess mine's an '08 model.
i put the oem windscreen on and it's allso terrible :p
i just don't like the feeling of having "the wind in my back" when riding with too tall windscreens.
any recommendations on some lower black tinted screens that give it allso a little more sporty look?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
don't know if it's meant to be that i rant on and on about my scoot here but i'll just go ahead since it's my own thread here :D

so, i went with the 15gram sliders.
pretty happy with the result.
rides alot smoother (allso clutch pads sanded while i was in there) allmost electric smooth once rolling 8)
i could advise anyone who just want a smoother ride but not alot more sporty, to just order the 15gram dr pulley sliders.

about the cornering...the scoot didn't give me the confidence i wanted.
i checked tyre pressure and guess what, pressure was set at nearly 51 PSI rear and nearly 45 PSI front!! no wonder the scoot gave me some weird feedback :roll:
previous owner must have been to enthousiastic about the tyre pressure :roll:

i allso noticed that the seat was adjustable, so i'm trying that out now.

all i need to sort out is if the inlet in the airfilterhousing is restricted with the smaller tubes or not and replace if needed and i definately need to sort out the windscreen. std one is deafening.

cheers, Hannes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
some more info on my cornering/stability issues.
correct tyre pressure made a huge difference (on dry tramac), wet tarmac in contrary gave me the feeling of literally riding on ice :?
on very slow speed i tested the grip on the front end by braking until front tyre started sliding...really didn't take much brake force.
come to think of it, this might still be it's very first front tyre (scoot has only 15500km on the clock and it's a 2009)!
so the tyre might still look not so bad, the quality of the rubber is beyond it's lifespan.
i'll be looking out for a new front tyre, looking for some advice...

thanks, Hannes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hoi Hannes - welkom op het forum :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Looks like you are having a bit fun with your Majesty, Hannes. Good on you and do keep us posted on your findings or raise question if have one.

hannes said:
rides alot smoother (allso clutch pads sanded while i was in there) allmost electric smooth once rolling 8)
From my experience, sanding the clutch shoes might be the biggest contributor to smooth take-off. Sliders help you quickly go beyond the problematic rev zone (3-4,000 rpm) but they don't do much with the clutch. On my own Majesty, the shatter normally comes back after 1,500 miles. I would sand the shoes again when I do the next service or just leave it like it (it's either luckily or unfortunately that I've got used to it ... :))

Re the tyres, if it's older than five years I would seriously consider changing it out ASAP. There are quite a few threads on the forum talking about tyres. My preference would be Pirelli Diablo. Ride safe.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i've been thinking regarding the clutch shoes.
they are THE problem, not the variator, giving us the shattering take-off.
has anyone ever tried making some small grooves in them, like the older race-style drum brake shoes had in them?
like so :

either someone tried this and brought no sollution,or no one thought of this or tried it.

Hannes.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Grooves are for gas dissipation in brake shoes or a high-rpm racing clutch under extreme conditions. Won't make any appreciable difference in a street bike...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome Hannes, I live in South Mississippi I have a 2006 Majestry and a 2006 Linhai 300. I hope we can help you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i allso replaced the front tyre that was troubling me.
got a metzler wintec free, pretty happy about how the scoot handles now 8)
made a world of difference.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so i had a bit of a play with some wrapping sheets :p

i allso cut the extra tall windscreen from givi (wich suck for me bigtime) and sanded the cut off edges and finished with a torch to smooth of the sanded edges.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts