Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My manual says the drive belt is due for changing at 20k kilometers and the "replace belt light" will light up.

This seems very short life.

Does anyone know if the light is mileage triggered [like the oil change light] or if it is wear triggered [IE when the belt stretches so much].

Has anyone changed one yet ? Cost ?

Has anyone run it beyond the normal limit ? How far ?

TIA

·
Registered
136 Posts
Bobb said:
My manual says the drive belt is due for changing at 20k kilometers and the "replace belt light" will light up.

This seems very short life.

Does anyone know if the light is mileage triggered [like the oil change light] or if it is wear triggered [IE when the belt stretches so much].

Has anyone changed one yet ? Cost ?

Has anyone run it beyond the normal limit ? How far ?

TIA
The belt change light is triggered by mileage, not wear. Those who have changed it on schedule stated that the belt looked to be in very good condition. Actual replacement is determined by measuring the width of the belt. The service manual states the minimum value of 1.06" (27mm) as measured at the widest part (top) of the belt.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Anybody got any idea how hard this is to change? Is it something that can be done by someone with normal mechanical skills and tools, or does it take special tools and such?

·
Registered
518 Posts
i have changed a belt before (not on the majesty 400 but)
it was on a honda CH 250 elite. same principle though.

not too dificult, although you will need some tool made to hold the variator still while you undo the large nut.

it's a fairly straight forward job.

jason

·
Registered
343 Posts
gpsnut2003 said:
not too dificult, although you will need some tool made to hold the variator still while you undo the large nut.
jason
And that tool would be a ???

·
Registered
518 Posts
the tool would vary from machine to machine.

once you have the cover off the majesty's variator, you should be able to see how best to make a tool that will do the job.
some variators have threaded holes in them for the tool to fit in.
others dont.

here is a link to a pdf that describes one such home made tool.
the design might (probably would) have to be altered to work for the majesty, but the principle is the same.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/hostile17/majesty/vpt.pdf

on my old ch 250 we used a strap wrench. that worked well.
might not work on the larger 400 cc machine.

alternatively, you could probably buy the special tool from yamaha for the job, although it might be a little expensive.
i don't know as i have not asked my dealer about one yet.

hope this helps.

jason

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks Jason. That gives me some kind of idea.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Any idea how much that belt costs? I can't fine one online.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just priced it and it was $147 from a dealer in the US and $249 in Canada

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just turned 12,500 on mine yesterday. I suppose I'll get around to changing it before too long. Since I make Kevlar, that looks like the way to go.

Bye the way. How do you stop that stupid blinking light?

And where can I get a repair manual? Anybody have one besides a Yamaha dealer. (I don't care much for my dealer, as you may have figured out.)

·
Registered
518 Posts
CajunBass said:
How do you stop that stupid blinking light?
good question. anyone know the answer ?

jason

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I don't know about the light, but you can get the shop manual on CD-ROM on eBay for $10. Search for "Yamaha Majesty". The CD-ROM is less convenient than having the real manual - I usually print out the pages for whatever job I want to do. But Yamaha charges $60 for the printed manual.

·
Registered
594 Posts
That Malossi kevlar is certainly the way to go. Glad to see they make them, I had not seen one yet :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
gpsnut2003 said:
CajunBass said:
How do you stop that stupid blinking light?
good question. anyone know the answer ?

jason
I asked the question on the Maxi-Scooter board, and Ron gave me this answer. Haven't tried it yet, but it seems reasonable.
http://www.maxi-scoots.com/postnuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=index
Kim...

The procedure you mention is for resetting the oil change reminder light. Cajun wants to reset the belt replacement indicator; a different procedure is used. You must:

1. Turn on the key.
2. Ensure that the engine cut-off switch is in the "run" position.
3. Disconnect the v-belt replacement reset coupler for about 10 seconds, then reconnect.

The reset coupler is the white plastic coupler located uner the tailpiece. It is usually held in position by the rubber strap securing the battery. It is the only white coupler in the vicinity of the battery, so is quite easy to locate.

·
Registered
518 Posts
thanks for the info.

guess ill see soon. i have only another 3000km to go untill the light should come on at 20,000km

jason

·
Registered
343 Posts
Actually that didn't work for me. I tried it once, but it was too hot (About 100F) when I got home, so I didn't spend much time on it. I'll look at it again another time.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Take it for what it's worth. I was talking to a Suzuki dealer (the manager actually) about trading my Majesty on a Burgman 650 yesterday, and mentioned that I was going to change my V-belt. He said "I wouldn't bother. Those things are good for 30,000, to 35,000 miles. As long as you don't see any performance drop off, you're fine."

·
Registered
518 Posts
when the service is due (in another 1500 km) i will have the guys
measure the belt, if it's still in spec, i wont replace it.

if it's close to the lower limit, ill get it replaced.

jason

·
Registered
343 Posts
Buy the way. I had another Suzuki dealership manager tell me, about my Majesty. (We were talking about how many miles I have on my bike.) "You don't have to worry about that Yamaha engine. They tend to last forever."

It's good to hear someone say good things about the competition.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts