Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had made comments in 2-3 other threads about coming back after being gone for 10 yrs. b/c I bought a 2012 Majesty with 1600 miles on it.
Thought I'd put further comments under this "Majesty" umbrella.

I picked it up today over in Ohio near Dayton & I live SE Indy.
Cruised home using 2 lanes & Interstate 70.
Didn't care for the Interstate driving b/c of winds.
Even though it can cruise freeway speeds, it's not an Interstate MC for me.
Too light & winds are tough on it.
I would have bought the Suzuki Burgman 650cc I tested out last week if I did freeway trips: I don't.
I used to go back & forth from work & now retired: errands & country drives.
Riding 2.5 hours today wore me out: never again!

But, loved having a MC again, especially a scooter b/c it's easier on the arthritis.
Look forward to putting miles on it.

I looked up some of my old threads when I bought a new 2005 Majesty in 2006.
I forgot I'd updated a few things on it that I probably won't bother with this round.

I found my old maintenance book for the 2005 that has every tankful of gas & mpg that I put on it.
Mostly 55ish mpg with 60 mpg a handful of times in 4 years.
I used the Majesty clear through mid-Dec., starting up again in March.
I don't anticipate being that avid this time around since I'm 68 now, instead of a young 53 yrs. old, ha ha!

Gas had been treated with additive & oil/filter changed out before winter on the "new" 2012.
I put in some injector cleaner & filled tank up with 93 octane & drove home 150 miles.
Can't wait to find out if weighing 50# less will give me more of the 60 mpg this time.
I'm boring, & I like keeping track of mileage like that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Congratulations on the acquisition! I agree with you regarding interstates. These bikes are fast enough to be ridden safely on them, but for me they aren't comfortable for long rides on the slab. My touring bike has better weather protection, better suspension, lower cruising RPM, more cargo capacity, ..., ..., ..., but I'm on the Maj way more often. It's an *excellent* commuter.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wind was even worst today here in SE Indianapolis.
Was buffeted about more at 50 mph than 75 mph b/c of the winds.
I've put over 300 miles on it in 3 days.

I verified that the speedometer was 10% fast using an app on the cell.

I need to find out where to order maintenance parts & what brands:
- tires
- spark plugs
- oil filters
- air cleaners
- brake fluid
- anti-freeze
The usual things.
Also, the fasteners that are used to take plastics on/off since they break.

Perhaps all these things can be found in theses pages here.

I'm sure there are many other things I'm not aware of yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My previous scoot was a little 150cc, never even considered hitting the interstate with. It's nice to know I can if I want with my Majesty. But I drive a scooter so I am usually not in a hurry to be anywhere, and even on my daily commute the ride is half the fun so I tend to find the round about scenic way to get from here to there

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ferball said:
My previous scoot was a little 150cc, never even considered hitting the interstate with. It's nice to know I can if I want with my Majesty. But I drive a scooter so I am usually not in a hurry to be anywhere, and even on my daily commute the ride is half the fun so I tend to find the round about scenic way to get from here to there
You describe my "journey" to a "T".
Over 2-3 decades ago I used to use my MCs, then Scooters for work, including Adult Evening School & it was great to have fun just using it for work transportation.
The evenings/weekends there were the jaunts just for stress relief since my job was stressful (taught middle school & high school since 1975).

Now: it's all fun.
When I have errands I now have the fun of options: Honda S2000 convertible or Majesty.
Example on 3rd day of ownership, I did a run to the hardware store.
Then, I went to an adjoining city 25 miles away & picked up two .22LR handguns from a friend who'd borrowed them & put it in my range bag strapped to passenger seat.
Then, drove 40 miles to the range for some small caliber target practice.
Then, after 2 hrs, rode 25 minutes home: my idea of fun, combining two hobbies! :-D
Biggest problem: wind was really vigorous. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
doddgary said:
Ferball said:
You describe my "journey" to a "T".
Over 2-3 decades ago I used to use my MCs, then Scooters for work, including Adult Evening School & it was great to have fun just using it for work transportation.
The evenings/weekends there were the jaunts just for stress relief since my job was stressful (taught middle school & high school since 1975).

Now: it's all fun.
When I have errands I now have the fun of options: Honda S2000 convertible or Majesty.
Example on 3rd day of ownership, I did a run to the hardware store.
Then, I went to an adjoining city 25 miles away & picked up two .22LR handguns from a friend who'd borrowed them & put it in my range bag strapped to passenger seat.
Then, drove 40 miles to the range for some small caliber target practice.
Then, after 2 hrs, rode 25 minutes home: my idea of fun, combining two hobbies! :-D
Biggest problem: wind was really vigorous. :(
If I could get my steel targets and stands under the seat I would take my scoot to the range more often. But there is plenty of under seat storage for when I am shooting paper.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been out of town for a week with no riding of Majesty.
I try to ride a little every day if not have a full day of appts. like yesterday, plus it was a little cool, so I took the Honda S2000 convertible which was perfect.
I find that I'm good with a 30-45 mile cruise out in the country, instead of 1-1.5 hours like I used to do 11 years ago when I had the 2005.

Still haven't made it to get license plates yet since I've been out of town for a week, but I got until June 11, I think.
Been getting 55 & 57.5 mpg & hoping to get 60 mpg some time, ha ha!
Only a boring person like me would track that.
I have 4 yrs. of every gas tank recorded in my Dome Vehicle Expense Record booklet that I found for the 2005 since I used it for the S2000 when I bought it to replace the Majesty back in 2010.
Maybe after I put a full synthetic oil in it will help (Amsoil or Mobil One).

·
Registered
587 Posts
On my 2006 & 2007 Majestys, I averaged between 56-62mpgs most of the time. The lowest I ever saw was 53 - but that was loaded for a week long trip and running @ 75-80 on the Interstates. Besides going to synthetic, bump up your tire pressures. I usually ran 40-42 front and 38-42 rear.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
minimac said:
On my 2006 & 2007 Majestys, I averaged between 56-62mpgs most of the time. The lowest I ever saw was 53 - but that was loaded for a week long trip and running @ 75-80 on the Interstates. Besides going to synthetic, bump up your tire pressures. I usually ran 40-42 front and 38-42 rear.
Thanks for the feedback.
I weigh 45-50#s less (depending on the day, ha ha), than 7-11 yrs. ago when I had the 2005.
I was hoping that would bump me over 60 automatically, but not so.
I was just looking at my old gas log with the 2005.
I had 90 tanks of gas with a mean of 54-55 mpg per tank.
There was a range from under 50 mpg x6 & 60 or over x3.
58 mpg was in 18 tanks.
52-56 mpg were all 12 tankfuls each.

I do love my statistics!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I put 101,000 miles on my Majesty before I got rid of it. I probably averaged about 54 MPG but had as low as 49 & as high as 60. Exactly how full you fill the tank will make a difference as well as the conditions you rode in. With such a small tank a small difference in how much you put in will matter. My weight also I'm sure brought the number down. I also used two windshields, the larger one in the winter & the stock one the rest of the year so that probably had an effect as well.
It's been a LONG time since I have driven from Dayton to Indiana. I seem to recall a three lane road with a middle suicide lane for passing. I bet that is long gone.
We used to to the Indy race & time trials & the last time was in 1956. I remember telling people that the places around there charged 50 cents for hamburgers & no one would believe that anyone would be crazy enough to pay that much for a hamburger.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gruntled said:
I put 101,000 miles on my Majesty before I got rid of it. I probably averaged about 54 MPG but had as low as 49 & as high as 60. Exactly how full you fill the tank will make a difference as well as the conditions you rode in. With such a small tank a small difference in how much you put in will matter. My weight also I'm sure brought the number down. I also used two windshields, the larger one in the winter & the stock one the rest of the year so that probably had an effect as well.
It's been a LONG time since I have driven from Dayton to Indiana. I seem to recall a three lane road with a middle suicide lane for passing. I bet that is long gone.
We used to to the Indy race & time trials & the last time was in 1956. I remember telling people that the places around there charged 50 cents for hamburgers & no one would believe that anyone would be crazy enough to pay that much for a hamburger.
WOW! 101k miles!
I imagine.
Love to see your repair log & the when & what & mileage of repairs.
I know when I sold my 2005 that I bought in 2006 & sold in 4 yrs with 10k miles on it & had it completely checked out before selling.\
It did not need a new belt & brakes were just fine.

As far as mpg, with only 3 fill ups, I seem to be solid at 56-57 mpg.
Each tank I try to be a little gentler with the throttle & try to keep the rpms down, but it isn't increasing my mpg other than the initial 1-2 mpg gain over the 1st tank when I was at highway speeds.
I had used 93* octane the first 2 tankfuls (along with Lucas fuel cleaner), but this last tankful I used regular 87*.
Can't wait to see if that makes a difference.
I only use a top-tier gas company like BP, Shell, Sunoco or Marathon with Phillips 66 if I can find it.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I gave all the records to the guy I sold it to. The Achilles heel for my bike was the clutch. The first was replaced under the free extended warrantee I got. The second wore out, the third was not properly installed & the bolt came off & did a LOT of damage. The forth was still working fine. I never had a problem with the engine & I only had it checked out once. One generator & one starter. Changed the oil filter every other oil change & not a lot of air filters. I buy bikes & cars new, ride them hard & put them away wet & sell them for junk prices when they aren't worth fixing anymore. The only exception was the Harley I finally bought & only kept a couple of years. My old age meant I couldn't get much use out of it. I had a hard time getting my leg over, changing gears & working the clutch handle. I'm looking now for a smaller scooter probably a Bergman 200, Kymco 300 or a 300 Yamaha. Problem is there are precious few available now & NOONE will deal on price or extended warranty. All I have now is my new electric bicycle.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gruntled said:
I gave all the records to the guy I sold it to. The Achilles heel for my bike was the clutch. The first was replaced under the free extended warrantee I got. The second wore out, the third was not properly installed & the bolt came off & did a LOT of damage. The forth was still working fine. I never had a problem with the engine & I only had it checked out once. One generator & one starter. Changed the oil filter every other oil change & not a lot of air filters. I buy bikes & cars new, ride them hard & put them away wet & sell them for junk prices when they aren't worth fixing anymore. The only exception was the Harley I finally bought & only kept a couple of years. My old age meant I couldn't get much use out of it. I had a hard time getting my leg over, changing gears & working the clutch handle. I'm looking now for a smaller scooter probably a Bergman 200, Kymco 300 or a 300 Yamaha. Problem is there are precious few available now & NOONE will deal on price or extended warranty. All I have now is my new electric bicycle.
I hear you about the "old age" factor.
I can't even get my leg over a girl's bicycle & found out the made a "step-through" which as been fantastic the last few years.
I can barely get my foot over the "hump" on or off.
I don't want to be dragging my foot over the plastic getting my foot off or banging the side trying to get it over the hump getting on.
Trying to twist around in the seat to see traffic coming at an intersection, since the neck especially & the back don't appreciate such movements. :shock: :(

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yesterday got my Indiana temp tags & will now wait for the title & regular tags to be mailed.
On my 4th tank I got 61 mpg & I have no idea why.
I ran regular 87 instead of 93 octane but can't imagine that made a difference.
It was the first time I filled up while on the centerstand instead of the kickstand, but I figured I would get more gas in that way, not less (speculating).

I ordered a downloaded service manual yesterdaday, but was disappointed that it didn't really show pictures of step by step taking off the plastic to get to things.
I ordered a manual for a 2008 - 2012, but it only says it is for a 2008???
I emailed them asking why the front Title page wasn't labeled properly, even if there were no changes from 2008 - 2012.
Seemed odd.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glad to see 4 or 5 of us still checking in on this forum, riding what I think I have learned is a great scooter. I bought my 2009 probably 5 years ago now - stole it for $2400 with 4500 miles on it. Had a tall windshield and excellent condition. I have used it as a daily commuter here in Florida until COVID in March 2020. Have 33,000 miles on it now. No longer checking my fuel economy, but I have had a consistent 55-57 mpg as long as I have had it. I have had a few nice motorcycles over the years, Suzuki Intruder 700, Harley Heritage Softail Nostalgia, but I can't beat how practical this Majesty is. I love it. I don't want to get rid of it. It is just too great of a scooter to want something else. I have changed oil regularly and air filters at about 15,000 miles. I am overdue for it again, but will get around to it. New battery a few years ago. Michelin Pilot tires every 7,000-10,000 miles. Never an issue with reliability. Original plugs. Original clutch and belt. I think I did rear brakes once, which is weird that the front is still original. Tipped it over once, minor scratch on one side now. But still loving this scooter and ride it whenever the rain isn't falling - almost daily. Just don't go far these days. But plan to scoot along for many years to come - maybe to 100K some day? Take care and ride safe!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Milehighguy said:
Glad to see 4 or 5 of us still checking in on this forum, riding what I think I have learned is a great scooter. I bought my 2009 probably 5 years ago now - stole it for $2400 with 4500 miles on it. Had a tall windshield and excellent condition. I have used it as a daily commuter here in Florida until COVID in March 2020. Have 33,000 miles on it now. No longer checking my fuel economy, but I have had a consistent 55-57 mpg as long as I have had it. I have had a few nice motorcycles over the years, Suzuki Intruder 700, Harley Heritage Softail Nostalgia, but I can't beat how practical this Majesty is. I love it. I don't want to get rid of it. It is just too great of a scooter to want something else. I have changed oil regularly and air filters at about 15,000 miles. I am overdue for it again, but will get around to it. New battery a few years ago. Michelin Pilot tires every 7,000-10,000 miles. Never an issue with reliability. Original plugs. Original clutch and belt. I think I did rear brakes once, which is weird that the front is still original. Tipped it over once, minor scratch on one side now. But still loving this scooter and ride it whenever the rain isn't falling - almost daily. Just don't go far these days. But plan to scoot along for many years to come - maybe to 100K some day? Take care and ride safe!
It was a pleasure to read of your Majesty journey.
Appreciated your reference to some maintenance.
I seem to be getting around 56-58 mpg, but have only put about 1400 miles on it so far.
Interesting that you didn't have to change air filters until 15000 miles & only 1 battery.
I had to replace the battery in my 1st Majesty that I only had for 4 yrs & 20k miles.
Appreciated the reference to the Michelin Pilot tires.
Original plug: very cool.
I try to ride mine everyday for about 30 minutes, sometimes for 45 minutes, if not raining.

·
Registered
587 Posts
My first Majesty(2006) was bought to replace a Honda Elite 250 for Mrs.Mini. She drove it around until I bought a Morphous for her. She liked that better, because it was so low to the ground, so I took over the Majesty. I did a lot of long distance traveling on the Majesty, learned how to change the belt, brakes, tires and did a little clutch and variator tuning. It never failed me or left me stranded. At the time the filters were a little pricey, so I made my own foam replacements and enjoyed 35K miles of trouble free scooting before selling it. I bought a second (2007) Majesty ,which was complete, except for no body plastics. I later found a gently used,super low miles Majesty that the owner broke something in the engine, and since it was off of the warranty, was able to buy very reasonably. I was in the process of upgrading Mrs.Mini's Morphous from the 250 to the 400 out of my parts bike, but stopped mid stream and swapped it (400) into the broken Majesty. I put about 15K miles on that after the swap and finally sold it last year to buy a Honda Silverwing. The 'Wing is bigger(and heavier)but I'm enjoying the upgrade to a 600. I still miss my Majestys- for my money they are the most dependable, good handling, all around, do everything scooter you can buy. It's a shame Yamaha stopped importing them here.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello and welcome, doddgary,

I have a 2007 Majesty 400, bought used in 2017 with less than 8K. I had always been a motorcycle guy, but was pleasantly surprised by the performance and comfort of a maxi scooter.

Glad to see some folks are still posting here.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wyomech2003 said:
Hello and welcome, doddgary,

I have a 2007 Majesty 400, bought used in 2017 with less than 8K. I had always been a motorcycle guy, but was pleasantly surprised by the performance and comfort of a maxi scooter.

Glad to see some folks are still posting here.
Back at ya!
When I had my 1st Majesty around 2006-2010, this was a hopping place.
I can't believe they don't make it anymore.
I bought a Honda S2000 sports car & am in a club for that & the last year they made it was in 2009, so I suppose it will die out eventually, but I still go on drives around the country with them.

As far as motorcycles, I had over 20, but was forced to go to a scooter b/c of arthritis & bought a Honda Helix back in 2004 & loved it.
I rode the Honda Silverwing 600 & the Burgman 650 & liked they both, but the Yamaha Majesty was the best bang for the buck at the time.
I was going to buy a Burgman this time around, but just didn't need something that big & heavy for my country tours & running errands.
If I was going to visit my daughter in Nashville, TN riding a MC, then I would have bought the Burgman 650.
I really would have been fine with another 250, but for those few times I need the extra speed or that little bit of extra oomph it is nice having the 400 cc.
I found a great Burgman 400 that drove great, but I was too late for it: it would have been nice to have had a different flavor.
I'm 68, so this is probably my last MC (of course, I said that 11 years ago, ha ha!).

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm not that far behind you...64, end of August. Sold my 2004 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 back in 2016 when living in Colorado Springs, bought the Suzuki S40 which was a better "dodge the crazy city cagers" cruiser. Also, an accident in 2013 shattered my left knee, and pushing a heavy cruiser got to be too much. Bought the Majesty for a (now ex-) girlfriend, having never ridden a scooter; oddly enough, the Maj, @395cc's, is a better highway ride than the S40 @652cc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts