Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Ya'll, from Brea.
Hope that everybody is doing well. I'm new here and new to majesty as well. I was riding burgman before, just want some change therefore, thinking of getting a majesty 400 as my new ride. I've sold my burgman some days back.
I wanted to ask few question:
1. If I buy a used majesty 400, how much maximum cost do I have to pay for it.
2. I have some luggage which I removed from burgman at the time of sale.
My main concern is with side bags and back trunk, Do these side bags (Viking Eagle Medium Black Street/Sportbike Scooter Saddlebags) and trunk (VikingBags Okse Black Large Premium Leather Wrapped Hard Trunk) will work on majesty.
3. Is it really worth it buying?
4. How's is it on longer tours?
5. How often does it require maintenance?

Any recommendation and help would be much appreciated!
Thanks.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I toured extensively on my '06 and '07 Majestys. Good low mileage ones are available, and you'll find them at much lower prices than the Burgers. I had made my own rack to mount a large trunk, because I didn't want to pay the prices for what is available. As far as the saddlebags go, it shouldn't be a problem as long as they don't hit the muffler.The Majesty is very "maintenance friendly". In my experience, the OEM belts are worth the premium you pay for them, and should be good for at least 20K miles.The manual says 12K but that's really, really low. The air filters are big, one on each side. They used to be expensive but aren't any more. The screws that hold their covers on should be changed right away to allen heads, if they haven't already. They look like phillips but they aren't and strip easily. Oil and filter changes are easily done without removing any plastics. You find the Majesty is a bit narrower than the Burgman and handles way better. Shocks may seem stiff. but in 2008 and up, they went to ones with adjustable preloads which help. The standard windshield leaves a lot to be desired (IMHO) as far as wind protection, but that's subjunctive. I always ran an aftermarket touring shield from overseas( about $120 shipped) and made my own wind hand deflectors to mount to the brake handle bolts. There used to be side wind deflectors available but they're rarer than hens teeth.
Good handling, good performance, good gas mileage, good prices, low maintenance, and practically bullet proof-what's not to like?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I DO NOT consider the Majesty maintenance friendly. I had 101,000 miles on my 2005 Majesty before I got rid of it. The battery is hard to get to, the air filters (two of them) are expensive, hard to get to & suck up dirt from the road. The headlight bulbs cost $100 labor to replace. The oil filler tube is located where you will burn your hand to check the oil if the engine is hot & it is difficult to add oil. I found it impossible to check the air pressure on the rear tire. IT IS A YAMAHA & the factory takes great delight in making the simplest routine chores as hard as they can. I had similar complaints with the 1995 Virago I had.
Now I am about ready to buy a Bergman 200 so I have to ask you about the Bergmans.

·
Registered
613 Posts
anything id pricey if you depend on the dealer. If you thought the Majesty was to hard to work on, you certainly won't like a Burgman. You have to take off all of the tupperware just to change your mind!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I'm 81 years old, I can't do many of the things I used to be able to do but changing a battery or air filters or checking the oil level or tire pressure should be EASY. On the Virago I had to remove the seat & the gas tank just to start to get to the air filter. There was a SMALL interference with another part that made it a hassle to get the oil filter out & I had to lie on the ground with a flashlight to check the oil level. It was a YAMAHA.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
There is not much currently available in almost any size that is freeway legal. Honda makes a 150 but it is actually 149ccs & not freeway legal. Certainly, I am aware even much larger scooters are not ideal for freeways but it may be necessary for at least short distances. I like the lower seat height of the Bergmans as all the others are quite a bit taller & it is EASY to get your feet flat on the ground with the Bergmans. Too bad Yamaha doesn't make the Morphous anymore. Of course, it was a Yamaha & UGLY but it would suit my purpose now. Kymco also made a good 250 but again no more.
There just isn't much to choose from. I can't ride motorcycles anymore. I bought a Harley Sportster around 2015 when I got rid of my Virago but sold it two or three years later because I wasn't getting much use of it & was almost totally using the Majesty. In my old age I had a HARD time throwing my leg over the bike, my bad knee made shifting difficult & arthritis made working the clutch difficult.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I toured extensively on my '06 and '07 Majestys. Good low mileage ones are available, and you'll find them at much lower prices than the Burgers. I had made my own rack to mount a large trunk, because I didn't want to pay the prices for what is available. As far as the saddlebags go, it shouldn't be a problem as long as they don't hit the muffler.The Majesty is very "maintenance friendly". In my experience, the OEM belts are worth the premium you pay for them, and should be good for at least 20K miles.The manual says 12K but that's really, really low. The air filters are big, one on each side. They used to be expensive but aren't any more. The screws that hold their covers on should be changed right away to allen heads, if they haven't already. They look like phillips but they aren't and strip easily. Oil and filter changes are easily done without removing any plastics. You find the Majesty is a bit narrower than the Burgman and handles way better. Shocks may seem stiff. but in 2008 and up, they went to ones with adjustable preloads which help. The standard windshield leaves a lot to be desired (IMHO) as far as wind protection, but that's subjunctive. I always ran an aftermarket touring shield from overseas( about $120 shipped) and made my own wind hand deflectors to mount to the brake handle bolts. There used to be side wind deflectors available but they're rarer than hens teeth.
Good handling, good performance, good gas mileage, good prices, low maintenance, and practically bullet proof-what's not to like?
Thanks so much for the information. I desire to buy a new one and assemble it the way I want, like you did for yourself. Obviously, it takes a lot of efforts and research.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really appreciate your suggestions guys. However, I want to look more into it, my uncle has an FJR and they want to sell it. My mind is stuck on that too, has anyone have any experience with FJR?
And I prefer doing DIY and making the ride more comfortable for myself, that's why I want to ask how much maximum wait you can put on majesty? what are the effects if wait increases?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
You need to be aware saddlebags can badly scratch the tupperware. If you intend to put the straps under the seat be aware there isn't much room. the straps should not be too wide or thick. Then there is the problem of how to tie them down.

·
Registered
613 Posts
You need to be aware saddlebags can badly scratch the tupperware. If you intend to put the straps under the seat be aware there isn't much room. the straps should not be too wide or thick. Then there is the problem of how to tie them down.
Tie wraps and/or bungie cords worked well for me, to keep them from moving around in the wind. Very easy to take the bags on and off. On my bags, there was a foam pad on the backside, so I never had any scratching of the paint

·
Registered
613 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for sharing, Mini. Bags are great and the foam pads are quite catchy. I'll consider them too.
I'm using vikingbags.com since I bought my burgman, before that I was riding Yamaha FZ6R. The old owner suggested me those, please have a look here Leather Saddlebags – Shop Leather Saddlebags for Motorcycles and let me know if you find anything better than the ones I have, these guys have a reasonable pricing and great products. That's why I want to give another product a go, obviously if it fits the requirements of majesty.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Over the years I tried a few different types & finally settled on the type he recommended. I agree they may well be the best but by then I had already badly scratched the tupperware. That price is WAY more than I paid but it was several years ago. The shorter bags are easier to tie down & no danger of them getting burned by the muffler.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Over the years I tried a few different types & finally settled on the type he recommended. I agree they may well be the best but by then I had already badly scratched the tupperware. That price is WAY more than I paid but it was several years ago. The shorter bags are easier to tie down & no danger of them getting burned by the muffler.
Thanks so much for recommendations and suggestions. I'll keep you posted as soon as I get my new ride. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Really appreciate your suggestions guys. However, I want to look more into it, my uncle has an FJR and they want to sell it. My mind is stuck on that too, has anyone have any experience with FJR?
And I prefer doing DIY and making the ride more comfortable for myself, that's why I want to ask how much maximum wait you can put on majesty? what are the effects if wait increases?
I had an FJR. Fantastic BIG bike. Not a full-blown sportbike like many others I have had. Sport touring. It's heavy, really heavy, rides excellent, fast a hell, and handles dang good for a very big, heavy, long bike. 150-160 mph it is rock solid!
You have to realize the two items you are considering could not be further apart in nearly every aspect. Both excellent machines and very high quality. But, absolutely different animals.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts