Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took time off work to deal with this scooter.

Original symptoms as stated in my other thread:

- Fuel pump quit - sat for a few weeks - started working again for a couple days and died again. I.e. Both cases I could not hear the fuel pump cycle on after the key turned.
- Bike sat for 4+ months while I find time to work on it.
- Replaced the fuel pump only (not the whole assembly). I tested the pump by hooking up the battery and turning key - the old familiar sound of the pump cycling on was back! So I put it all together without actually starting it (stupid).
- Bike will not start. But I hear the fuel pump cycling on after the key is turned.

What can I test from here? There is spark at the plug. I cannot smell any gas when the plug is out after cranking.

I'm willing to pull it apart again as I know what I'm doing now. But putting in a new fuel pump assembly ($200) and still no start will likely result in me setting this POS on fire and finding a sport touring machine to commute on.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just bought 2005 majesty400, am getting nervous hering about fuel pump problems and recalls, I hope I got a good bike.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was something in the fuel pump assembly. I put a new one in and it started right up. There's not much to screw up in the connections. I never removed the fuel line when I replaced only the pump. The electrical connection is very easy to put back on right. Then make sure you line up the assembly like the manual states and torque the bolts in the order shown.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Doggus said:
It was something in the fuel pump assembly.
Probably the fuel pressure regulator...that may have been the problem all along... :roll:

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
One of the recalls out in 2008 was for the fuel pump coupler assembly needing replacement. Majestys 2005-2007 It's 22 pages. Bikes that have had this recall service done will have a punch mark stamped over the primary ID label located in the front wheel well of the bike. Mine did when I bought in 2008. It was a 2006 model.

In affected scooters,
the engine could stall and be difficult to restart
because the wire terminals in the fuel pump wire
coupler have corroded. This is because water can
enter from the main wire harness end and run
through the harness to the fuel pump coupler. If the
water remains in the coupler for an extended period
of time, the terminals can become corroded, which
can prevent the fuel pump from operating properly. If
this corrosion affects fuel pump operation while the
scooter is being ridden, there could be an accident
resulting in injury or death.
To correct this defect, Yamaha is initiating a Factory
Modification Campaign. Affected scooters must
have a sub-harness installed which is designed to
allow any water between the wire harness and the
fuel pump to drain out before it reaches the fuel
pump. If either the main wire harness connector or
the fuel pump connector is already corroded, the
corresponding assembly(ies) must also be replaced.

This pertains only to the recall I described. Apparently there have been other recalls?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sku-Torr said:
Doggus said:
It was something in the fuel pump assembly.
Probably the fuel pressure regulator...that may have been the problem all along... :roll:
Sku-Torr,

When the bike initially quit, the usual buzzing of the fuel pump you hear when first turning the key was absent. That's what initially gave me the indication that it was the fuel pump. When I replaced just the pump (inside the existing assembly), the buzz was back and I believed all was good. However as in my post, it still did not start, just cycled the pump. That's when I went lotto ticket on it and ordered the whole assembly, hoping not to be dumping more money down the toilet. That worked. Buzzing and then start!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
865 Posts
llrdhsktr said:
As I understand it, if there's no punch marks there, then that recall wasn't done.
the easy way is to take your vin number to the service dept at your local yamaha dealers shop and have them run it thru their computer. They can give you that information and more on the history of your machine.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
[/quote]

Sku-Torr,

When the bike initially quit, the usual buzzing of the fuel pump you hear when first turning the key was absent. That's what initially gave me the indication that it was the fuel pump. When I replaced just the pump (inside the existing assembly), the buzz was back and I believed all was good. However as in my post, it still did not start, just cycled the pump. That's when I went lotto ticket on it and ordered the whole assembly, hoping not to be dumping more money down the toilet. That worked. Buzzing and then start!

Thoughts?[/quote]

Yep, the regulator!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I guess more than likely, I need the recall work done. The yamaha dealership that is near me and inspected my riva200 is a local buisness with a good reputation. Guess im gonna find out how good they are

1 - 14 of 14 Posts