Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my PowerCommander install which did not fit where the manufacturer said to put it I was reluctant to do this install - well it was easy.
First, nothing will make your scooter theft-proof. You can chain it to a lamp post with a Kryptonite New York Chain and in some neighbourhoods it will be stripped in an hour.
The reason I got the Gorilla alarm is my workplace - hospital emergency deparment - parking lot is full of bad actors - find beer bottles and crack pipes there on a Sunday morning - but does have a security gaurd who patrols. I wanted the alarm to have something to get the security gaurd's attention in case someone was messing with my scooter.
Gorilla alarm has a shock sensor, motion sensor - trips if the scooter is moved from the sidestand to the upright position - I don't park with the sidestand so I didn't install this - and a voltage drop sensor which goes off if someone hotwire the scooter. You have to install the main computer/siren, an antenna wire, wires to the battery, and a warning LED which I put just above the gas filler assembly.
Decided to try putting it under the right (as you're sitting on the scooter) side cover - when I took this off it was like the first time you lift the seat - there is SO MUCH space - this is where I should have put the Power Commander module. All the alarm parts fit in easily. The only thing you need is lots of zip ties to hold the wires securely.
One more glitch - installed everything, pressed the remote and - nothing.......... :x
Turned out the fuse that came with the alarm was broken.
Replaced that and everything is fine. Siren is plenty loud under the side cover.
While I was at it I discovered there is a "secret compartment" inside the grab rail - just remove the two Phillips head screws -kind of cool.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello.
I am also wanting to add a Gorilla Alarm...can you take pics of your install. I am curious where you mounted the items.

Glad to know someone else has installed one before I go buy one.

THanks,
Rich

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're installing one you need to know this: I made a mistake in my first post. Since I didn't want the tilt sensor I didn't attach it - turns out this disables the shock sensor function - so be sure and attach the tilt sensor. I have a digital camera but don't know how to post pics on this site. If you can tell me how I'd be happy to. Basically, I took off the passenger seat, the piece of fairing over the tailight, the right side cover, the cover over the gas tank filler, and loosened the lower right panel.
I attached the main "box" of the Gorilla alarm to the right aluminum frame rail near the forward side of the side panel with Velcro and zip tie.
I ran the battery wires back to the battery, ran the antenna wire back towards the battery, and mounted the tilt sensor with velcro to the plastic underseat trunk facing the front of the battery. Use plenty of zip ties so the wires don't vibrate and rub against anything and cause a short circuit.
The instructions say use an 8mm drill bit for the LED. These are impossible to find, so I used a standard drill bit a slight bit smaller and used a round file until the LED snapped in place. It's mounted above the gas filler cover panel. The whole thing is really easy - there is plenty of space and Gorilla provides good instructions. My only problem was the defective fuse.
As an added bonus, my dealer had installed the piece of fairing over the tailight with ONE broken quick release fastener - thanks a lot! And you can't order replacements from Yamaha.
The Gorilla kit includes two sheet metal bolt/screws which you can carefully use to tap into the projections of this piece of fairing and now it is very solidly screwed into place. The bolt head size is the same as the fairing bolts on the Majesty so you only need one socket to take everything apart.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As a last note, this really is a simple install. The Yamaha owner's maual tells you how to take off all the plastic.
The Gorilla manual is very detailed, has diagrams and is CORRECT.
For tools, you need a set of metric Allen wrenches a 3/8" drive set of metric sockets a drill and a set of bits, a round file and that's it. Buy a bag of assored size zip ties at Home Depot or Lowes. A set of diagonal cutting pliers is nice for cutting the zip ties but you can use scissors. You can buy spare fuses at Radio Shack if like me you get a defective fuse.

There is plenty of room under the right side cover to mount other components if you want to add an intercom, stereo, etc.. The LEFT side cover is where Yamaha runs all the wiring harnesses - space is very tight.

The BEST bike security system I saw was in a '70's issue of "Choppers" magazine. The owner had a pet MOUNTAIN LION and when he parked his Harley the mountain lion was attached by it's leash. No kidding.

Finally - for the guy who locked his key in his trunk - thanks for telling me the Yamaha ignition switch assembly swivels - I didn't know that.
On my bikes, I have hidden a spare key by duct taping it to the back of the license plate. This is almost impossible to notice. My license plate is held on by those reflectors with wing nuts so you can remove it by hand.
I DID lose my key once and got home because of the key attached to the license plate.
:wink:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thank you for the detailed review...I'm thinking along the same lines.

Along with lock and alarm, don't forget the uses of a bike cover...it keeps prying eyes away from scanning sealable/choppable parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.