Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has your Majesty stalled on you while riding?
Yes5452.94%
No4847.06%

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This poll is to find out how many Majesty owners of this forum have had their Maj's stall on them while riding!!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have forced it to stall by blipping the throttle abruptly with the brakes on, but it has never happened while riding and I ride it hard and fast with 7k miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine stalls occasionally, but the dealer says that Yamaha hasn't heard about it! I'd rather live with the problem than take it to the dealer and have them mess with it.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Very heavy traffic and continuous road construction makes Houston traffic very screwy :tongue3: Cages slam on their brakes all the time and not necessarily for any good reason!
His Majesty has stalled once or twice when I have had to slam on my brakes, but mainly when I see something up ahead and I simply let off the gas to deaccelerate. The first time he stalled was when I was deaccelerating to take the U-turn on the feeder under an overpass on a majour road (Beltway 8 ). After I restarted the bike, I immediately pulled over into a gas station to check the bike and clean my shorts. :shock: My fuel was just under 3/4 full, so it wasn't that the fuel 'sloshed' or the bike got at an angle when the fuel pickup sucked air. After inspecting the bike for fuel level and starting it up and shutting it down normaly several times, I chalked it up to a fluke.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Majesty. It has stalled twice. On both occassions, I was making a left hand turn in traffic from a stop light. It was a bit nerve racking simply because you cannot restart the Majesty without coming to a halt. Thus, I had to get over to the side of the road (again, while in traffic), come to a stop, and then restart the Majesty.

Both times, the Majesty started up fine and continued without problems. I still do not know what caused the problem and I've not tried to duplicate it. Perhaps I should take an afternoon and see if I can consistently get it to happen. We'll see!

Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
376 Posts
Polls are fun and interesting....but this one is very likely to over-represent those whose scooters have stalled because those without the problem won't open the thread.

So take the results with a grain of salt.

But wait...it is on the Internet...it must be true!

Your affectionate grouch,

·
Registered
351 Posts
You can, actually, restart the Majesty without coming to a halt ... simply hold one of the brake levers slightly enough to trigger the brake light and hit the starter switch.

I never realized so many folks were having problems with the stalling. Mine has been perfect. What brand / octane of fuel are you using? I always use 89 (or mid-range for those at higher altitudes) and have only performed oil changes up until last week when I changed the two engine air filters at nearly 7,000 miles. I just switched to Amsoil fully synthetic motorcycle oil, but have been use Yamalube 10w30. Other than that, the bike is stock.

I do tend to ride pretty quick on it since I ride a lot with groups and most of them have bigger bikes. Once out of the city I always get challenged from somebody and wring out the 394.9cc thumper (FYI ... Yamaha's website incorrectly states 400cc) taking her to maximum velocity on a regular basis. I also ride in extremely hot conditions in San Antonio where the traffic is probably worse than most big cities. I hear the fan coming on frequently when idling in peanut butter and traffic jam, but the motor never stalls. Even when it infrequently gets nippy, the motor fires right up and after a minute or so of idling, it puffs away flawlessly. I have even ridden at the beach, on the sand, shooting rooster tails of sand as my rear wheel begs for traction up and down the hard pack. When I used to take my KLR650 down to the same area, the combination of extreme humidity, high heat and blowing sand would frequently cause it to stumble and stall when coming to a stop. It always started right back up so I did not worry to much about it and simply attributed it to the current environment that I was riding in. My Majesty, on the other hand, never even hiccuped in the same conditions. After leaving the beach, my riding buddy (on a Honda Valkyrie) loaded up the ice chest strapped to the rear seat with some very cold Coronas and took off up the Texas coast line to eventually wrap up a 650 mile hot weekend ride in the next day or so. The Majesty was perfect in everyway ... until upon arriving back in San Antonio, straight off the 300 mile line back from the Serendipity sailboat marina in Palacios, TX, I was sitting at the stop light trying to decide if I just wanted to go home or if I should give the Majesty a hose down before putting her up. I chose the latter and just before the light turned green I grabbed some throttle prematurely, grabbed the brakes, then let go of the throttle, and the Majesty stalled. I started it right back up and it has never happened since. The way I look at it ... I dumped the clutch ... that would stall almost any bike, even a Hayabusa. I would not call my stall a problem, but only because it has never happened in a way described by some here.

If mine turned off by simply turning left I would be pissed. But, somehow there seems to be more to this mystery. It almost always seems to happen when deccelerating or changing engine speed abrubtly. Could it be the CVT engagement?

Does anyone have this problem while cruising steadily under throttle? For those who lost power in a turn, were you feathering the throttle and / or brakes in the turn?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Mine occurred at very low speed, circa 10-15 mph, upon deceleration and then beginning to accelerate.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It happened to me a couple of times when it was still new. Both times it happened it was within 10 minutes of starting up. Since those first 2000 or 3000 thousand miles I haven't had a problem. I now have around 18,000 miles. I still have a problem with vibration, but a new v-belt temporarily helped with that.

·
Registered
351 Posts
GADawg,

I know this is off topic, but what exactly do you mean by vibration problems? There are few motorcycle engines that do not vibrate and none that are of a single cylinder (thumper) configuration. There is a counter balance mechanism, but of course it is only to reduce vibrations, not eliminate them. Assuming you are not expecting the motor to be vibration free, I am thinking you are speaking of a vibration that is abnormal. Are you talking about the transition when the tranny engages (would make sense if a new belt helped)? I have been rather impressed at the relative smoothness of my Majesty. Haven ridden many thumpers in the past, this one is the smoothest by far. I guess I am not understanding what type of vibration you are speaking of.

·
Registered
518 Posts
mine was stalling on a regular basis, (2 or three times a week) and alwasy as i rolled off the throttle at very low speeds.

untill i took it to my dealer.

they replaced the ecu (after a few calls to yamaha oz) all under warranty.
yamaha oz, asked what the vin # was. once they got the number, the dealer called me back with the news that there was an "updated" ecu for the 05 majesty, and they would order one, and fit it free of charge.

it has not stalled once since the replacement ecu was fitted. that's over 4 months ago, and more than 6,000 km.

my problem was solved, completely and totally. im very happy with yamaha australia's customer support.

jason.
sydney, oz.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Mine has now stalled seven times -- I've had it a month -- always at low speeds. It's hard to peg any particular status of the throttle when it happens.

·
Registered
136 Posts
there has been many previous post in regards to engine stalls. I also contacted my dealer in regards to this. He contacted Yamaha, and sure enough there is a new engine module. Took my scoot in today, 15 minutes later all fixed, no charge. Took it for a test ride, accelerated and deccelerated quickly with no adverse effects. Even if you don't have the problem, an upgrade part might not be a bad idea. Ride safe all!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Anybody know if Yamaha has a recall or bulletin on this issue? I don't think I need a new chip, but if it is free and does not require to much foreplay on my Majesty, I would consider it. I am leary of asking my dealer to do anything for free ... they know I paid full price for the scoot :oops:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I took my Majesty in for it's first service yesterday, having called the day before to set up an appointment. I'd mentioned on the phone that the scooter was stalling intermittantly at low speeds, and that I had some info about it that I'd bring in.

I brought the scooter in, mentioned again it had stalled seven times at low speeds and related the experience of the owners here, giving the service writer a copy of this thread, and letting him know Yamaha was aware of the problem.

He looked at me with a straight face and said that "scooters sometimes stall when they reach their service intervals."

The look on my face must have been priceless... something along the lines of: "if you see me contorting my face right now it's because you are complete idiot and you think I am one too."

As soon as I could, given a fair amount of incredulity, I asked him to contact Yamaha regarding the problem -- which is frankly an unacceptable problem regardless of how close or far the bike is from a service interval.

When I pick up my bike in a few days, hopefully he'll have an adult response... I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If I'm not satisfied I'll call Yamaha myself.

·
Registered
351 Posts
That is exactly why I was asking about a service bulletin or recall ... I think I would get the exact same response. What an idiot. Its one thing to have a stalling or sputter machine that is 5-10 years old, but this is a brand new model and with some of Yamahas best technology ... you hanlded it much better than me!

·
Registered
454 Posts
65% of the respondants have noticed the stallling.

Anyone who considers the low-speed stalling "a defect," should take the time to report the problem to NHTSA.

NHTSA then collects defect data and when necessary, issues a recall.

Reporting a defect is done with the VIN of the vehicle, a number is assigned to you, and if you wish, you can be either anonymous or not.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

·
Registered
14 Posts
My new majesty stalled once on me today while pulling away from a stop light in heavy traffic.

I do not recall if I rolled on and off the throttle. I was too busy trying to restart the bike before I lost my momentum.

If I had not read about the potential problem here first, I probably would have panicked and stopped in the intersection, with potentially nasty results.

Thanks everyone for posting about this problem.

As a member of a scooter club that has several members with maxi-scooters, I can tell you that stalling is definitely NOT part of normal operation!

I will be asking my dealer to contact Yamaha to see if a Service Bulletin or Recall has been issued.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.