Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner

Hello from Raleigh, NC

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  HRHQMaj 
#1 ·
Got my 06 Majesty about a month ago after pestering the wife a bit and passing my learner's permit.

Funny story, went to pick up the bike (they had to trade another dealer for one) and as the salesman is showing me everything he says "Have you ever ridden a bike before?". Being a "mans man" I say of course :)

I have never ridden a motorcycle or scooter in my life but figure how much harder can it be than an old school pedal bike :)

He shows me all the controls and such and I throw on my helmet and wave bye-bye and start off. Immediately I am headed directly towards two nearby employees on a smoke break who dive out of the way. I am rocking from side to side going maybe 25 miles per hour and using first my left leg then my right to constantly push myself upright as I am riding.

I am laughing like an idiot as I drive thru the parking lot because to me it is hilarious. I am thinking I am gonna have to call the wife and tell her I crashed before even getting out of the dealership lot :).

Eventually I get to the exit and it is a 4 lane road seperated by a median and I realize I will need to turn right, go to the next light and make a u turn to go the right way. So I sit there until there is plenty of room to pull out and as I am pulling out I realize I am not turning nearly enough to stay on the road. So, across 2 lanes I go, down an embankment then up the other side and come to a stop then turn left (which is the way I wanted to go anyway).

Anyhow from there it is another 5 miles to home and by the time I got there I was much better on the bike and have ridden it tons since then.

Anyway, thought you all could use a laugh :). The sales guy called me at work the next day to make sure I was alive.

Jeff

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome Jeff! That IS a great story. My sales rep wouldnt let me drive it home for fear of me crashing. He delivered it to my door step free of charge. Im kinda glad he did. :D
Enjoy MajestyUSA, its YOUR forum.

#3 ·
Hello Jeff!

I strongly recommend that you look into taking an MSF course. They teach you a lot about safety and, at the end of the class, providing you pass, you may get a written waiver that the DMV will accept as passing the motorcycle road test! Check em out.

God Bless.

#5 ·
Welcome along to the forum! I too had to wait to get in to an MSF class. But, if you're willing to show up a couple of times (in case someone no-shows) they may let you in if there's a space. If everyone shows up, you go home. A pain, yes, but persistence usually pays off!!

#7 ·
I'm going to buck the trend here and say I found nothing funny about the story. I've reiterated this over and over and over on other forums -
THINK ABOUT THOSE WHO CARE ABOUT YOU. Think about those who would have to look after you if you were in an accident and needed care. Think about those who would have to look after you if you were permanently crippled. Think about those who would be standing over your grave if you were killed. We all take risks every day but riding like that is 100% irresponsible.

You are extremely lucky you did not go down and get seriously injured or killed. I'm betting by your admission of not knowing how to ride, you don't know how to dress properly either.

Stay off the roads and get into the MSF course as soon as possible before you become a statistic.

Yea, I'm a Safety Nazi and proud of it. I have zero tolerance for stuff like that.

#9 ·
Hey Mr. Rubble, I got your point and was indeed a little hesitant about posting the story. I do however have proper safety equipment :) Jacket with body armor, jeans, gloves with armor and a full face HJC helmet. The event was funny to me tho, partially because I was all decked out in the newest and greatest gear but was very wobbly initially.

HerMajesty - I left Kathy Butler a voice mail asking if I can enroll in that very class so I may get to meet you and your hub :) bring your bikes!!

#11 ·
djmadkins said:
Hey Mr. Rubble, I got your point and was indeed a little hesitant about posting the story. I do however have proper safety equipment :) Jacket with body armor, jeans, gloves with armor and a full face HJC helmet. The event was funny to me tho, partially because I was all decked out in the newest and greatest gear but was very wobbly initially.
dj, please, the formality of Mr. really isn't necessary. Just plain old Rubble is great, although I do appreciate the respect.

I may have sounded a little harsh, high on my horse etc. but your story brought back memories of another story posted on BurgmanUSA about a woman who was learning to ride in a parking lot, lost control and crashed through a plate glass window and died with her husband looking on. For the new rider, one of the worst things that happens is something takes them by surprise or they get caught off balance (as you sort of did) and they grab a handful of throttle. Now the accelleration has them holding on for dear life and they can't release the throttle. It always turns out ugly.

In any event, I'm very glad you are safe and sound and bundled up in gear! I'm also very pleased that you are persuing the MSF course. You will learn tons of stuff that will keep you safe and alive, not just on the street but in parking lots as well. (Slow speed maneouvers take a terrible toll on new riders and thier machines).

Congrats on the new Majesty have a blast!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.