Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine from the Morphus is the one used in the 250 Majesty, so I am told. The engine cases are the same part numbers for the 250 Morphus and 400cc Majesty engines. Does anyone think a 400cc Morphus could be put together? That extra 10mph would be a nice cushion and the 400cc Morphus would be a unique piece, too.

THANKS

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recently completed the Majesty 400 engine swap. Not only are the engines the same externally but the engine wiring is plug and play with the Morph. Youtube clip of motor running:

I can tell you that the 400cc engine makes a world of difference- bike is much faster off the line. I have not tested top speed because the bike is still naked awaiting panels.

Here is a basic outline of what needs to be done for the swap-

Remove stock Morph engine. This requires disconnecting the coolant lines and a few connectors. You will also have to remove a few body panels. I had them all removed because they needed to be painted.

Unbolt stock engine mount bracket from the Majesty and bolt on Morphous bracket.

The output shaft for the final drive on the Majesty engine needs to be swapped for the Morph output shaft- the majesty one is too long. Simple matter of removing the variator and clutch, unbolting the final drive cover, slide drive gears out (watch for the shims and washers) and slide out the output shaft. Swap in the one from the Morph and assembly is the reversal of removal. Note there are no tools needed to do this other than a 10mm socket to remove the final drive cover.

Bolt Maj engine to Morphous chassis.

Hook up electrical connectors- its easy the all correspond exactly to the connectors on the Morph chassis.

Swap out Morph ECU for Maj ECU.

The exhaust headpipe for the Maj is bigger than the Morph so you cant use the stock muffler as-is. You may be able to use the Majesty muffler but you will still have to make some brackets to mount it to the Morph swing arm. I actually used a stock muffler from a Yamaha R1 by welding on a couple of reducers and making a small bracket to hang the muffler- pretty easy. The R1 muffler sounds very nice- not too loud but the bike sounds like a motorcycle now.

The Throttle Body on the Majesty Engine is bigger than the Morphous but with some finagling the Morphous air box can be made to fit. I heated up the boot that connects to the TB with some hot water and I was able to get it to fit on the Majesty TB. There might be some performance loss due to the smaller filter area of the Morph air box- we'll see.

Thats it- the bike fired right up and ran great. I will try and get some images posted in the files section. I don't have them hosted anywhere yet so I can't imbed them.

Let me know if I can provide further information-

Thanks
Nathan
Albuquerque NM

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nathan,
How's the bike?What's your impressions? Is the handling, suspension and ride effected much? Is it as smooth. How is it on the highway?

Was the switch worth the effort?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The bike rides great! I have several scooters and an Aprilia Mana 850 and the 400 Morph is my ride of choice. Handling suspension and ride are all exactly the same. The 400cc motor may weigh ~10lbs more (if that) but the suspension, brakes etc. are all the same.

The 400cc motor has a bit more vibration but nothing earth-shattering. And I recently installed a J.Costa variator and it really helps smoothout the low speed vibrations. Acceleration is now amazing.

Highway performance even 2-up is everthing you could ask for. I routinely do 80+ MPH when I jump on 4 lane highway in town and on a two lane 55mph would be a completely relaxed cruise with gobs of passing power left.

The swap was definitely worth the effort which was actuall not much more than it would be to remove and install a stock motor. This is the bike Yamaha should have produced. I was just lucky and the stars aligned perfectly for me to get a great deal from a really good guy for an entire motor with wiring and ECU.

All in all I could not be happier. I will post some new pics/videos soon as riding weather is just about here.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
There is a an online auction place called Copart. It would be a good source for engines since they seldom have failed when a bike is totaled. Usually, it looks like the tupperware is damaged and the cost of that is enough to total the bike.

http://www.copart.com/c2/copart_home_page.html

Chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am in process of this swap as well. The 400 engine is mounted and now I just need to put all the parts back on it, fill fluids, and fire it up for testing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I considered doing the switch but in the end I was concerned that I might change exactly what I love about the Morphous- the extremely smooth and quite ride. Add to that the fact that I did'nt love the ergonomics-(at only 5'9" I felt a bit scrunched up) and I decided to keep it as is... That was a while ago Ive since sold the morphous and I'm riding motorcycles more now. I still have my two Helixes and I still enjoy them for shorter rides... but I find it a bit uncomfortable to be on them for more than a few miles especially when compared to my motorcycles.

The helix and morphous have a low seat/high foot deck ratio ... It means you have to bend your knees a lot putting you in an odd position on the Helix. these things should have come with back rests as you end up sort of holding your self up using the handlebars. The Morphous was better with a more straight up position but you still have a low seat/high foot deck ratio which puts my knees a little higher than I would like.

For any potential owners of either bike, I do not want to dissuade you from owing either bike, none of the issues I'm bringing up are deal killers especially on short rides. I personally may not find them as comfortable as my motorcycles but they are not necessarily uncomfortable. I bet losing 30 lbs would go along way in helping me be comfortable on any bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, I am really interested in doing this mod as well. I recently blew the engine in my '06 morphous and this sounds like a good idea IF I can also take advantage of the higher gear ratios of the majesty. Are the transmissions interchangeable as well? If not, what about the gearboxes inside? I plan on going about 80 mph just about every day to and from work and I believe that after two or so years of that, it blew the engine on my morphous. I hit the rev limiter just about every time I get on the bike.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
As a project bike, I like the idea of swapping the engine out of a Majesty into a Morphous. Project bikes are made for pursuing dreams for the fun of it. And who cares about what it costs to make it all work. But for daily commuting at 80 mph...I couldn't recommend it at all.

If you look at the two bikes, there's a lot of difference in tire/wheel size, brakes, and suspension. The Majesty is made to ride up to 100 mph as a total package. When you ride it at 70-80 mph, you're still well within that design envelope. The Morphous is designed to make 75 mph, and as you found out, 80 mph was too much for the engine. You're fine as long as nothing bad happens. But as soon as it does, you'll find you have a more powerful engine...but the rest of the bike can't handle the demands you're now making in an emergency maneuver. You're way beyond the design capabilities.

I knew some guys who put a small block Chevy V-8 engine in a VW back in the 70s. It ran really well in a straight line and could pop wheelies at every traffic light. But it was a toy, not something they depended on for their daily transportation.

You'll spend a lot of money and still won't have as good a bike as if you picked up a used Majesty that you can depend on.

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your comments... I did not have any problems with the bike's ability to handle itself at 80, emergency maneuvers included... I rode it for two years like that. In my humble opinion, the morphous is more than capable of cruising safely at 80. The stock engine does not hold up after 25000 miles though. The tire diameter is the same as on a majesty as far as I know... I don't really intend on doing a hundred on it anyway. I just wanted to be able to cruise at 70-80 without spinning the engine too fast. If I can have the gear ratios from a majesty as well as the engine, then I will have what I am going for. I don't want to ride a majesty because the seat is too high and the overall ergonomics are not as comfortable for me as a morphous.

I am not really looking for a debate on whether or not this is a good idea ... My question remains, will the transmission bolt in as easily as the engine, or is there any way to utilize the majesty gears in the morphous gearbox? Are the ratios different, or is the majesty engine just designed to spin faster?

EDIT: Looks like I answered my question about gear ratios. The Majesty definitely runs at a higher ratio. Many of the transmission part numbers are the same though. I am thinking that this is gonna work!

By the way, I appreciate the link to the cobart site. They have a wrecked majesty on there I plan on keeping an eye on!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Any updates
I have a morh i may intend to swap
:bounce:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I finished the swap this spring. The entire rear section (engine and trans) is a remove and replace event. Only change is to remove the wheel driveshaft from the Morphous gear box and install it into the Majesty gearbox. The Morphous wheel and swingarm must be kept.

My only concern is that the 400 runs hotter than the 250 and the cooling fan seems to kick on more frequently. The heat exchanger (radiator) is the same part number for the Morphous and Majesty so maybe it's the airflow through it that is different? Or maybe its just plain hotter than the 250.

Anyway, general impressions is that the Morphous is much improved in the seat of the pants acceleration and I'm happy with the swap. I'm gathering my photos and notes into a writeup to share the details for those that are interested. Its low on the priority list, but I'll be happy to respond to questions to what I did and why.

Now if would just get warmer and stay warm here in Chicago so I can break this thing out on a regular basis!

·
Registered
2 Posts
nacree said:
I recently completed the Majesty 400 engine swap. Not only are the engines the same externally but the engine wiring is plug and play with the Morph. Youtube clip of motor running:

I can tell you that the 400cc engine makes a world of difference- bike is much faster off the line. I have not tested top speed because the bike is still naked awaiting panels.

Here is a basic outline of what needs to be done for the swap-

Remove stock Morph engine. This requires disconnecting the coolant lines and a few connectors. You will also have to remove a few body panels. I had them all removed because they needed to be painted.

Unbolt stock engine mount bracket from the Majesty and bolt on Morphous bracket.

The output shaft for the final drive on the Majesty engine needs to be swapped for the Morph output shaft- the majesty one is too long. Simple matter of removing the variator and clutch, unbolting the final drive cover, slide drive gears out (watch for the shims and washers) and slide out the output shaft. Swap in the one from the Morph and assembly is the reversal of removal. Note there are no tools needed to do this other than a 10mm socket to remove the final drive cover.

Bolt Maj engine to Morphous chassis.

Hook up electrical connectors- its easy the all correspond exactly to the connectors on the Morph chassis.

Swap out Morph ECU for Maj ECU.

The exhaust headpipe for the Maj is bigger than the Morph so you cant use the stock muffler as-is. You may be able to use the Majesty muffler but you will still have to make some brackets to mount it to the Morph swing arm. I actually used a stock muffler from a Yamaha R1 by welding on a couple of reducers and making a small bracket to hang the muffler- pretty easy. The R1 muffler sounds very nice- not too loud but the bike sounds like a motorcycle now.

The Throttle Body on the Majesty Engine is bigger than the Morphous but with some finagling the Morphous air box can be made to fit. I heated up the boot that connects to the TB with some hot water and I was able to get it to fit on the Majesty TB. There might be some performance loss due to the smaller filter area of the Morph air box- we'll see.

Thats it- the bike fired right up and ran great. I will try and get some images posted in the files section. I don't have them hosted anywhere yet so I can't imbed them.

Let me know if I can provide further information-

Thanks
Nathan
Albuquerque NM
Nice write up. Which years Majesty 400 are a direct swap with a 2008 Morphous?

·
Registered
2 Posts
minimac said:
All Majesty 400s , all year Morphs. Simple swap.
Thanks for that reply. Only other swap would be the ECU from a 400, correct? I also saw something on the exhaust as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts