Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a very interesting problem yesterday while working on my clutch, (yet again), that I think will be very helpful to those experiencing premature clutch engagement and vibration from during very low speeds (under 10mph) with "stock" clutch.

I need to go back to the beginning so you understand exactly how I came across this because it's not something you normally would, and I'm not quite sure what made me go there in the first place.

Anyway....I purchased the bike in October 2011 with 19500 miles from a local powersports dealer. The owner traded it in when he shredded the CVT belt at that mileage and bought a rice burner.The dealer slapped on a belt and put it on the showroom floor. They told me it was perfect, having been all serviced with new filters and oil change etc...(hahahahaha..!!!)

Yeah right....

So I plunked down $3995.00 for the "out-the-door" deal and rode her home....ran perfect...I was back in heaven (this is my 3rd scoot/2nd Maj).... a few weeks later I posted a problem relating to what I thought was a heavily glazed clutch and Bell (drum). Many responses came in pertaining to possible weak springs and so on. I took it apart not having any money left to fix it right, and took a chance on sanding the shoes and cleaning up the drum as good as I could, being it didn't look that bad at all....some glazing...but what the heck?? To make a long story short it seemed to help for maybe 100 miles or so until it went right back to doing it again...subsequently...worse now. I put up with it until I could afford to purchase a new clutch and finally did about 8 months later. I re-used the drum as it had no hot spots or grooves. When the new clutch arrived I took it apart and installed and greased everything I was supposed to, fired it up, twisted the throttle and....Houston, we have a problem..!! I never heard a noise so loud and a vibration so wicked and I was still in the garage!!! To make a long story short...somehow I forgot to put the drum back and when I goosed the throttle the clutch shoes kicked and there was no drum for them to grab on to. You can guess what happened...the shoes caught the inside of the aluminum side case and that was is. However, after removing everything again damage was minimal and limited only to a little beveling of the rear edge of the clutch linings on all 3 shoes. I also noticed the rubber shoe-stopper grommets had flipped over their respective posts and were on the back side instead of "ON" them. I fixed it all up, put it back together and...the bike was now creeping at idle. Obviously I overextended the springs and ruined them. I ordered a new set and a week later installed them but then ran into another glitch. When I took the old ones' out 1 spring rolled into the pile of the 3 new ones...and I didn't see it...so I had to take a 1 in 3 chance of installing 1 old spring...and of course that's exactly what happened.. So I ordered ANOTHER new set...and this time...took all 3 out first...and decided to removed the 3 shoes off the shafts that the pivot on (I'll post pics tomorrow)...that when I noticed something very interesting. When I went to slide the shoes up the shafts to remove them, I noticed they were quite tight and with the springs removed and the shoes swinging free...they didn't!! In fact, they were binding quite bad. Before I re-assembled everything I used dry lube on the shafts and inside the holes on the shoes that the shafts go through. Put it all back together and.......REMARKABLE....!!! Not only is the clutch engaging completely normal...every last bit of low rpm vibration is gone...no more clanging bell noise at idle...no more hammering and extremely light throttle during driveway and parking maneuvers....it even feels like that NEW, TIGHT SMOOTH as butter feeling you have for a while until everything starts to wear-in and loosen up. So here is my theory in a nutshell;

With the shoes binding on the shafts they cannot pivot freely causing one or more other shoes centrifugally spinning and engaging at different rpm's causing an out-of-balance condition. When they start engaging there would have to be a nasty vibration theoretically because of the way it's designed to work. I also saved the old original clutch and checked IT last night and all 3 of THOSE shoes bind on their respective shafts/posts quite severely. Some of you whom have not addressed this issue yet may want to check the actual shoes for this binding...the springs may be fine..!!

I haven't been able to put more than about 45 miles on the bike since the fix yesterday so I'm not sure how well the dry-lube will hold up...or for how long. I'll post pics tomorrow afternoon at some point!!

Thanks for your patients with this novel post but I really wanted to share this finding due to all the posts about vibrations and early clutch engagements.!!

Have a good night everyone..!!

Steve

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also forgot to mention that when I removed the shoes from the shafts, I noticed a corrosive buildup almost like rust on the shaft and inside the shoe holes...I don't think the dry lube will hold very long due to the amount of heat sustained so I may take it back apart and use some lithium soap grease or something comparable. I may also try to sand and clean up the shafts because I'm not sure if it's even a good idea to lube them because if lube makes it's way out and onto the shoes you're screwed. I'm going to post pics using the original clutch that I saved when I replaced it. I'll show you exactly what I'm taking about. It's quite interesting.

It's interesting because when I look back in retrospective to where I screwed up, my clutch has not been operating normally for a year and a half, and 22,000 miles. No wonder it feels soooooo good now.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks for the info and post. I'm a new owner ('06, 23,000 miles) getting ready to service the clutch for the first time. Mine also vibrates until the clutch locks up at 20 mph. I hope you can post your photos soon; it would help me out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately I didn't have time to do it today but I will try tomorrow...work summons me..!! It may not be until tomorrow evening but will try to get them up. I'm think I'll have to take it apart yet again, as the lower speed vibration and hammering has returned slightly...as well as the clanging...I'm gonna try a lithium based soap grease next time. I didn't think the dry lube was going to last that long but it was all I had. It's too thin and evaporates and only leaves a thin film...need something heavier.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Here is my take---I have not owned Majesty----but have purchased 10 new Maxiscooter since 1990 and am now at near 300,000 miles on them------ridden a lot this type drive system is not cheap to own/fix/keep----the behavior of your bike just like my SilverWing 600 or my second Burgman at now 24,000 miles. At 20,000 still under warranty Suzuki paid for new front pulley/rollers/rear outer clutch bearing and of course I paid for new belt.
#1 for you put it back together with all new OEM parts, this should give you baseline of how it should work.

#2 as miles build up, it will start to jerk on take off-----I don't bother taking apart, etc, just nature of this type of drive system. FIX: run it up against the brakes for 10-15 seconds....sometimes a stink as glaze, etc is burnt off, works for a week or two...then repeat as needed. Lots of short runs make the procedure required more often.

Note: I feel 250cc about limit for this type of drive, based on 175,000 Helex miles, belt slap sometimes-yes, jerking/funny take up-NO....so belt and rear clutch was not working too hard---- 400 Burgman driveline at 20,000 miles parts just plain worn out, SilverWing traded just as stuff was starting to wear out and everyday run up against brakes required-----in Korea I had new 125 Daelim scooter=zero drive line trouble/jerking. 125 well within the limits of this type of drive. 30 years ago 50cc Vespa Ciao in Italy zero pulley/belt/clutch trouble in everyday hard use.

Last time I lived in Japan 2002 250 Majesty was the big seller of large scooters---250 being a cheap insurance/inspection class----they had no drive line problems inspite of hard riding conditions-----and Yamaha had a 25 page book of available accessories!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Having recently bought a well used Majesty, it is becoming clear that the clutch is the Achilles tendon of the scoot. There's far too much discussion and posts about it to ignore. Hopefully, when the weather improves in a week or so, I can tear into my unit and try to remedy the rough, hammering vibration I'm getting at take off to 20 mph. It's a major distraction from an otherwise pleasant machine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello, what weight did you used, please?
I have an aftermarket clutch with Malossi red springs, Malossi white compression springand 14g Dr.Pulley sliders now and I have vibrations at low speed and a squealling noise untill the speed goes over 20/30 kmh.
Should I use white clutch shoes and 12g rollers like Malossi uses?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts