Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I joined the MajestyUSA yesterday in hopes of learning how to change the headlights. I did see some comments on this subject but no conclusions. Has anyone here replaced the headlights with success?
Thanks and please let me know.
Donna

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So... No one has replaced the headlights. I am going to atempt to replace light bulbs today. I think the way to start is to remove the windshield and covers all over the scooter handle bars. I hope I do not have to take scooter to the Yamaha dealer and pay the price. This must be a very hard thing to accomplish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I finally replaced my headlights on the Majesty. It was a challenge. First you have to remove the windshield, remove blinkers, then you need to remove the front panel. Then disconect the wires to each lightbulb. Take the cover completely off. Then there is a waterproof rubber boot over each light and then there is a gate that swings open to get the light bulb out. There are a lot of screws and nuts to remove. The hardest one to get off is in the upper part of the cover in the curve. I could not get my small hands in there so the front cover had to come off all the way. This took me 12 hours to replace but I am sure it would only take 1 to 2 hours next time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a go at a headlight today.

I didn't bother removing plastic panels, windshields or other associated bric-a-brac.

I lay on my back and looked up into the wheel well space with a torch. The connector was easy enough to remove with 2 chubby fingers. The rubber boot was more of an issue due to restricted space but came out OK. The spring clip I undid by feel but you can see if you've got it through the headlight lens (this is useful for checking it's seated right when you put it back together). The bulb was the issue! It came out of the plastic housing OK but due to the space you're working with, I had to wiggle it towards the outer body panel before it would drop. This was the H4 I was replacing which is a large bulb. I suspect the H7 on the other side would just drop through the gap.

Installation is just the reverse of the above. Took me about an hour.

Hope this helps next time!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Be VERY sure you do not touch the bulbs. The oil on your fingers will fry the bulb. The last time I had the bulbs changed they showed me the fingerprints of the guy who had changed them. They were burned into the bulb.
The dealer will take off the front & charge you an hour's labor. They can be changed from the wheelwell & my dealer did that & only charged me 1/2 hour for both bulbs. He used cloth gloves to handle the bulbs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
gruntled said:
Be VERY sure you do not touch the bulbs.
Very true. My understanding is that this is the case with all halogen bulbs as uneven heating of the bulb surface can cause early failure (though not necessarily cracking of the glass). There will probably be a warning on the packaging.

Fortunately in this case, the way to get the bulb back into the space before wiggling back to the headlight housing means you'll be touching the bulbs brass connectors, not the glass. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Believe me I did try to replace bulbs through the wheel well and could not do it. Seems like I have to do most things the hard way. I looked all over the net to find out how to replace the bulbs and no one knew how.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds like there are a couple of ways to do this. I will try it next time. My dealer charged me AU$120 to change the bulbs. They said they had to take a lot of stuff off which would suggest they did not know it was quicker to do it from below.
Thanks for posting though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Scott4 said:
Here is a "How to..." I made to share on replacing headlights. -Scott

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0By5MOkG1JgrTZlFEVGxVVzZDTmc/edit?usp=sharing
Thanks for posting the article as will be very helpful. I will have a go at doing this.

My lights went out again last night. Can't believe it I had then both changed for the same reason only 7 - 8 months ago and I have not done that many kms, maybe 2,000 kms (about 1,242 miles). This time I will do it myself.

Does anyone know if the lights are connected in series so that if one goes the other goes as well? I don't understand how both go out at the same time. Thanks.

Edit - I forgot to mention that the high beams work fine on them like the last time. Could it be a wiring issue?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Mine go out one at a time & it is always the low beam. I have had them replaced several times but now it seems like the latest ones may last awhile as it has been quite some time & both are still okay. Using the gloves may have helped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@gruntled

Hi,

The lights are being switched by a relay and come on only as the engine comes to life. For the same reason they switch off together as soon as you kill the engine. H4 lamps mostly die at the lower beam spiral because that's the one that is on 95% or more of the time.

I am presently putting on a daylight ' running light' using leds, 2 rows of 10 leds each which will be fed from the lower beam feed via a manual switch. During the day the running light will be on and during the night or in tunnels I can switch to the headlights.

This will probably make an end to the labourous replacing of the headlights as most of my driving is during daylight. Also, the leds are very bright and beam straight ahead instead of downwards as the lower beams do which will make me much more visible. Last but not least I will be saving 2 x 55 Watts which will be good for the batterie.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts