Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Majesty YP400
I live in a cold winter climate. When I store the bike for the winter....how do I keep the battery charged?
Does the bike have on-board trickle charging ability or do I have to remove the battery and keep in the house?
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
125 Posts
Float chargers (also known as battery tenders) are designed to keep the battery charged while in storage. Float chargers are sold with two different connecting cables -- and the ones I've purchased were packaged with both cables: a) one that can be attached to the battery terminals permanently, with a quick disconnect plug and socket, or b) with spring-loaded clamps to connect to the battery terminal posts, for use when the battery is off of the bike.

If you are storing in a garage you can use the permanently mounted solution and "plug your bike in" during storage. This is what I do for all of my bikes. On my Majesty, the cable runs down from the battery compartment under the fairing and I have the power inlet socket attached to the right rear reflector -- by the spring and shock -- with a cable-tie. The power socket has a weather-protection cover which I keep closed during the riding season. The socket is an SAE standard, so you can change float charger models without having to re-wire the bikes.

·
Super Moderator
125 Posts
Replying again to say I have yet another power cable on my Maj. A power outlet cable for heated gear. It lets me extend my riding season by several months. This cable is permanently mounted to the battery, too, and is stored under the seat. It lives in the little weather stripping "trench" along the left side, where it is out of the way for the summer but can be reached easily in the spring and fall, or on very chilly mornings.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Float chargers (also known as battery tenders) are designed to keep the battery charged while in storage. Float chargers are sold with two different connecting cables -- and the ones I've purchased were packaged with both cables: a) one that can be attached to the battery terminals permanently, with a quick disconnect plug and socket, or b) with spring-loaded clamps to connect to the battery terminal posts, for use when the battery is off of the bike.

If you are storing in a garage you can use the permanently mounted solution and "plug your bike in" during storage. This is what I do for all of my bikes. On my Majesty, the cable runs down from the battery compartment under the fairing and I have the power inlet socket attached to the right rear reflector -- by the spring and shock -- with a cable-tie. The power socket has a weather-protection cover which I keep closed during the riding season. The socket is an SAE standard, so you can change float charger models without having to re-wire the bikes.
I agree completely. Just make sure you do not use an inexpensive "trickle" charger as it will overcharge and ruin the battery. Make sure it's a "smart" or "float" charger. Also called a battery tender...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thank you so much :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a charge lead with the standard SAE 12v connector running from the battery to inside the "trunk" area under the seat. There's a little hole drilled in the back to let the lead through... works great. Seems like most battery chargers have that type of connector. I have one of the desulfating trickle chargers I put on it from time to time, fingers crossed the battery is living a long time so far.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I mounted a Gerbing heated gear weather resistant outlet in one of the side panels and made an adapter with an SAE plug. Make's it easy to plug/unplug my Battery Tender. Fused the outlet so I can also use my heated gear if needed.
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bumper Sunglasses

1 - 11 of 11 Posts