Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in my late 50's and admittedly not in the greatest shape, but I seem to have an inordinate amount of trouble getting my Maj up onto the center stand. No problems getting it off -- just up. Lately I've taken to just using the side stand to avoid the wrestling match at the end of the ride.

Is it just me?

How do you get yours up on the center stand?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Are you putting all your weight on the centre-stand lever?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Are you leveling the bike on the centerstand before you put your weight on it to lift it? Also, are you using your left foot to depress the centerstand foot press?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I was trying to pull it backward, to build momentum, and then push down on the lever with my left foot. I do this from the left side, rather than on the scoot. The surface is concrete, so there is no "give."

·
Registered
518 Posts
i think that pulling backward is your problem.

use your weight to lift the maj up, not trying to lift with your hands.
here is how i do it.

one hand on the left grip. the other hand on the grab rail.
one foot on the centre stand lever. once both sides of the stand are on the ground, simply stand on the lever. put all your weight onto the lever, lift the other foot off the ground, and the maj should go straight up.

im not in the best shape either, and i weigh 180lb, and i find it easy to do.

jason

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hands off the brake, too, please.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
It does help to be more than 115 pounds. I'm stil working on mastering the mojo! :lol: :oops: :lol:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I too have been wrestling with getting the bike on the centerstand and have not really come up with anything I like for technique yet. I tried doing it from one side of the bike and as I tried to roll the bike up on the stand it tipped away from me and I dropped it...no major damage but I have adopted a new inviolable policy. I will not EVER move the bike without straddling it first. I won't drop it that way. At 6'4" and 240, I am no lightweight, but it is a chore to use the center stand. I rock my weight back on the stand while simultaneously pulling back on the handlebars and it usually goes up on the first try. I still dont like it though

·
Registered
450 Posts
At 6' 4" and 240lbs, you should be launching it up on the stand! Admittedly, I don't get it up on the center stand on the first try everytime but it is fairly easy once you get the technique down.

I do it basically like gpsnut2003 does but I'll go into a little more detail...

First, I put down the sidestand and dismount the scooter. Standing on the left side of scooter facing forward, I grab the left hand grip with my left hand and reach back and grip the grab bar with my right hand. I push the scooter up off the sidestand and into the upright position as if I were going to push it into my garage for the night. But instead of pushing it, I put my right foot on the centerstand lever. While still holding the scooter upright and facing forward, I push down on the lever until it hits the driveway. It is important at this point that both legs of the centerstand are touching the ground. If you are holding the scooter upright, then all should be well. Now, while continuing to face forward stand up on the centerstand lever using all your weight - that means lifting your left foot and putting all your body weight on the lever with your right foot. The scooter should now start to come up. As it comes up, I lean backwards as I straighten my right leg to tranfer all my weight to the lever. The lean seems to help get the scooter over the hump as the change in angle helps propel the stand forward and scooter backward.

Once it's up, I kick up the sidestand and get out the hose or my tools... because I only use the centerstand for washing or working on the scoot!

·
Registered
189 Posts
thanks guy, I will give that a try.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have in the past and still do from time to time have trouble with the center-stand, and I'm 6' and 300 lbs. As someone else has said, one of the keys is to make sure that both feet of the stand are in contact with the ground.

One other thing I have found though, and that is moving the bike just a few inches, will make a difference. I suppose it has something to do with how level the ground is. Even on what looks like a flat concrete pad, there are variations. It sounds silly I know, but moving the bike about two inches seems to make a difference at times.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
davegering said:
I am in my late 50's and admittedly not in the greatest shape, but I seem to have an inordinate amount of trouble getting my Maj up onto the center stand. No problems getting it off -- just up. Lately I've taken to just using the side stand to avoid the wrestling match at the end of the ride.

Is it just me?

How do you get yours up on the center stand?
No it is NOT you. Many of us are centre stand-challenged!!

One suggestion that does seem to work is to take a 2x6 and build some sloped ramps on each side of it. This should give you a 6"wide piece with sloped edges. Roll the bike onto the 2x6 and then try using the centre stand. The added lift of the rear wheel seems to make it where most people can get their bike on the centre stand after a bit of practise.

Several people also report that after they have mastered the technique using the added lift, they can then place the bike without the use of the ramp.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Its funny. The dealer's rep had me do it three times there. Had no problem. He says most people try to muscle the bike and it doesn't work. Just step on the centerstand peddle like you are walking up stairs. It was so easy.

I get home. Can't do it. Have to have my 12 year old stand on it. Somehow it seems he just puts it right up, but I am on the other side to give him confidence that it won't fall. I also have bad knees which is why I bought a scooter to begin with, so maybe I'm just afraid to put all the weight on one leg for fear of knee damage. I'll try your tips because I did do it at dealership alone. Who can figure?

·
Registered
45 Posts
hotshoetom said:
I too have been wrestling with getting the bike on the centerstand and have not really come up with anything I like for technique yet. I tried doing it from one side of the bike and as I tried to roll the bike up on the stand it tipped away from me and I dropped it...no major damage but I have adopted a new inviolable policy. I will not EVER move the bike without straddling it first. I won't drop it that way. At 6'4" and 240, I am no lightweight, but it is a chore to use the center stand. I rock my weight back on the stand while simultaneously pulling back on the handlebars and it usually goes up on the first try. I still dont like it though
Got it! Your problem is easy - don't pull on the handlebars.

You have to stand on the centrestand with your right foot and lift the the rear grab rail with your right hand. As the scoot lifts it will tend to move rearwards and quickly rise up onto the centrestand.

I tend to keep my right arm straight as I lift while the left arm is basically just balancing the scooter.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Blue_TMax - wish you had been around when I got my first bike in '82? - a Honda Silver Wing - back when they were 500cc motorcycles.
I had taken the MSF beginning rider's course - which kept me from killing myself - but they didn't teach the centerstand.........
So - my system was to stand up from the seated position, put my left foot on the centertand and yank on the handlebars as hard as I could :)
Usually after about 20 yanks I could get the thing up on the stand.
I forget who finally clued me in....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everybody, I'm not a Maj owner, just a fan, been lurking...

But I do own a yamaha (a 1980 XS850) that I commute on, and I use the centerstand all the time. I've sat on Majestys in the dealer and popped them up and off the ctrstand with ease (since it's about 100lbs lighter than my XS850). using the centerstand on a majesty should not be considered a sigfnificant challenge, but it does take some technique.

I'm 50, 5'9", and 195 lbs. anybody around my weight, should absolutely NOT be having a problem getting the bike up on the centerstand.

A others have mentioned, I will reiterate: it is essential to step your full weight onto the centerstand pedal.

Also, staying seated on the bike, or straddling it is the most awkward position in which to use the ctrstand.

here's my method:

1. Standing facingthe left side of bike with the bike resting on the sidestand, place your left hand on the left handlebar end, and your right hand on the grabrail. (these are mostly for balacing the bike)

2. using your right foot, press the centerstand down into contact with the ground, so that one ctrstand foot touches the ground.

3. holding the centerstand against the ground, press your right knee against the side of the bike, and gently rotate the bike to vertical until BOTH centerstand feet are touching the ground. slight opposing pressure -pulling on the handlebar & grabrail, while pressing the side of the bike with your knee - aids control of balance. this step is essential, trying to raise the bike onto the centerstand while it's still tilted towards you and only on one ctrstand foot greatly increases difficulty and the risk of dropping the bike.

4. step up onto the centerstand pedal putting your full weight onto your right foot (left foot off the ground). you can pull up a little on the grabrail if you like. Up it goes!

Practice makes perfect, good luck!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just remember when using the centerstand-- while you push down with your foot, hold the grab-bar and pull UP on it at the same time. The upward force on the grab-bar attempts to lift the rear end and makes it easier for the scooter to lift onto the centerstand. If I put enough upward force on the grab bar, the whole process goes really fast.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I too did have trouble getting my Majesty up on the center stand. I'm 6'4", 240 lbs., with a lot of upper-body strength. As suggested here, I've found the key to it is making sure both sides of the stand are touching the ground, floor, etc. I think it's natural to try to have the bike leaning towards you. But when the stand is touching on both sides, the bike comes right up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't feel bad. I'm sure that everyone here, including myself, couldn't get on the stand first time. 'Cause I was taking a weekend bike course, I wasn't licensed and had the dealer deliver. But he left it on the kick stand. So I had to go to the dealership so he could show me with another majesty. Was I embarrased..

:oops:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts