Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think that 12,000mi/20,000km is a good interval to inspect, clean and lube the transmission components regardless of whether the belt needs changing or not. Mine was only 1/3 worn (29mm) at 22,000km, so I left it in even though I had a new one in hand. It will be inspected again in about 10-15,000km.

I apply the same principle to air filter maintenance. Check/clean/replace at every oil change for the Majesty (~5,000km), every valve check for the Bandit (~20,000km). It just makes things simpler and easier to remember :).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Update:

32,000Km (~17,000 of those medieval units of measurement) on OEM 2005 belt and still no signs of problems. I'll check it's state and width during the winter and likely replace it since I already bought the new one. It's anyone's guess what the odometer reading will be by then.

Disclaimer:

This approach is not for those that turn to the first gas station as soon as their fuel reserve starts to blink. My wife's Majesty is ridden solo only in the city (accompanied by me on the Bandit on all longer rides) and we have CAA Plus coverage so getting stopped because of a broken belt is merely a potential nuisance.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just changed by V-belt at 16.5k miles.
The PO had told me he checked the belt at 15k or so and it measured & looked up to spec.
But the bike was vibrating excessively on take-off, and the belt could be heard 'flapping', so it was time.
Made a big difference, and was not costly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just changed mine at 16,345 miles.
Belt looked like new measured 29mm.
I would have felt comfortable going 20,000.
Rollers needed cleaning. I think my low speed
shudder first ride of the day, was because of rollers
not rolling smoothly. Works fine now.
Bought belt from Motorcyclesuperstore.com
Only $49.95. Made by Erlander.
Sure beats all the other prices I have seen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a mess when it comes to maintenance. My original belt lasted 34,000+ miles before it broke. Left me stranded 2.5 miles from home. Without friends or family.....it was a long push. Got my cardio done for the day!
I have not taken it apart yet (praying it WAS the belt).
I saw a YouTube video for belt replacement....but this guy did not go into the details as much as I would like.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Replacing the belt isn't rocket science but it is a little time consuming-especially if you don't keep up on maintenance. While things are opened up, you should replace the rollers,as well as the CVT and air filter. Belt specs are in the shop manual and are easy to check. I replaced mine @25,000 mile- it was still in spec, but was old. Rubber products degrade overtime even if not abused. It's doubtful you'll get that sort of mileage out of an aftermarket belt.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts