Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner
1 - 1 of 6 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask because it's a little complicated here in the UK, and was wondering how it works elsewhere.

Here you can ride a 50cc scooter on just your full car driving licence provided you're over 21 with no further training at all required.

If you're 16 or over, you're eligible to take the CBT (Compulsory Bike Training) test. It's a full day where you learn theory, basic control, and then a couple of hours out on the roads. This is done on a 125cc machine with manual gearbox (usually a Honda CB125).

Then, once you've passed that, and very few people fail, you have other options.

You can ride on your own, up to a limit of 125cc, so long as you display 'L' plates to signify you're a learner rider. This is to practice for your test.

If you take further lessons on, and pass the test on a 125cc machine, manual or automatic, you can dump the learner plates and ride a maximum 125cc for 2 years before the restriction is lifted and you can ride more powerful machines or...

You can take what is called Direct Access, where the latter lessons, and the test are taken on a 500cc machine, and if you pass you are entitled immediately to ride any machine you like. But obviously only the lessons and the test can be taken on the 500cc, as you're limited to 125cc when not accompanied by the instructor.

Hope that made some sense!

Oh, furthermore I forgot to mention that if you take the test on an automatic (which I intend to), you're also limited to riding automatics only.
1 - 1 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.