Yamaha Majesty Scooter Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typically when I ride I wear a bright yellow textile jacket, for rainy weather a BMW Motorrad rainsuit (with reflective striping), above-the-ankle motorcycle boots. I plan to purchase within the next two weeks some textile pants.

Sometimes I fantasize about buying leathers, although it's pretty wet where I live except in the summer. Does it look dumb to wear neck-to-ankle leather on a Majesty for highway riding? How about wearing an Aerostich?

BE GENTLE. This is in the Newbie Questions forum for a reason!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well I been ridin for more than 5 years on various bikes and scooters and never have paid attention to what I wear colorwise except for maybe helmet.

Knock on wood.

I do suggest brights to contrast your darker color scooter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I dont think it should matter what bike you are riding in regards to saftey... the asphault is just as dangerous if you lay your scooter down doing 70 mph as it is on a CBR. That said, I would feel silly wearing racing leathers... hehehe... but leathers would be an important saftey consideration.

·
Banned
250 Posts
I've seen the odd scooter rider in full leathers, including one guy on a 49cc machine. To my eyes they don't look out of place at all. The Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit is an incredibly versatile piece of clothing that by all accounts will continue to give good service for many years no matter how you abuse it. Because it can be worn in virtually any weather and is very easy to get in to and out of, it has my vote over leathers. But really, a person needs both :lol: !

What would look out of place is black leather chaps and vest with fringes :shock:

Dave

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am not convinced that leather is still superior to textiles. I wear good abrasion-resistant textiles with armour. Good leather with proper armour and stitching is very expensive, and fashion leather offers zero protection.

When I get the funds, I am going Aerostitch.

But as far as what you look like - there are so few of us on maxiscooters, we can define our own fashions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What you wear depends on how much you value your skin. I wear my Aerostitch every time I ride. I would feel totally naked without it!

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
221 Posts
Burger Bob said:
What you wear depends on how much you value your skin. I wear my Aerostitch every time I ride. I would feel totally naked without it!

Cheers,

Bob
I will second that. And although the Aerosticth was initially expensive, I think I saved money in the long run by not having to buy multiple outfits for various weather conditions (hot, cold, rainy, etc). And I do not have to worry about changing clothes when I get to where I am going.

My only complaint is the the Aerostitch makes me look like a blue Power Ranger. But at least they see me!

Dave

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
HerNWMajesty said:
Sometimes I fantasize about buying leathers, although it's pretty wet where I live except in the summer. Does it look dumb to wear neck-to-ankle leather on a Majesty for highway riding? How about wearing an Aerostich?

BE GENTLE. This is in the Newbie Questions forum for a reason!
Great question!! I own a 'Stich and it's the best money I have spent on gear. I had an accident in December and I truly believe that it is why I did not get injured beyond a busted wrist. The worst that happened to the 'Stich are a couple frayed threads on the flap on the left hip where I hit-- No bruises on my hips or legs!!

I have used the 'Stich to ride in weather ranging from the mid 20's (very cold here in Texas) up to about 85degF. I also have had to ride home from work in driving rain and been comfortable and dry underneath.

If cost is a factor, keep an eye on their "Sale items" These are items that were sold to someone, tried on, found to be the wrong size, and exchanged. They are in new condition and substantially less in price than the 'virgin' suits. This is how I purchased my suit and I've been very pleased, especially with the colour.

I have had several other bikers ask about the suit and never once had anyone mock me for wearing it. Since it's my safety and my life, I'll protect it as I see fit! 8)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wear an Acerbis Matrix Touring Jacket, Icon 14 oz denim, super reinforced jeans and thick soled boots. Not to mention gloves. and a 3/4 HJC helmet with face shield. During the really warm months I wear a perforated textile/leather Yamaha star jacket. The leather covers the shoulders and elbows. Both jackets have the usual armour. Of the two, the Acerbis feel safer (I will try it this summer, since it is an all season jacket). I would think that leather would be better for the legs IMHO. :wink:

God Bless.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You were so gentle with me!
:D
It looks like I may buy some Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 Ladies pants, as they're waterproof, but I may save up for an Aerostich Roadcrafter, in HiViz LimeYellow, because I won't ride when the weather is below 38F (3C). Fortunately, most of the time it's not that cold in Seattle. As mentioned in the OP (originating post) I have a bright yellow textile jacket which is great because it, I theorize, keeps the drivers a safe distance behind me, yet attracts flirting partners of both sexes when I go out to do my errands. (Who knew this stuff was sexy?)

As I joked to my friends when I was in the initial throes of Majesty ownership ecstasy: "It's all about looking hot on a bike!" Although I know it's also all about avoiding roadrash, and where I live, all about avoiding getting soaked. I love my BMW rainsuit for that.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well, I generally wear jeans, a T-shirt, a sweat shirt, a jacket, and a snowmobile suit. Steel toed work boots on my feet, gloves and a helmet. This time of year, I dress more for the cold I WILL encounter than the accident I might encounter.

YMMV.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wear above 72 degree temps a t shirt of sleeved shirt, helmet..always....and blue jeans with boat shoes or Nike type tennis shoes. No shifting with toe needed so no heavy boots just thick soles. I always wear gloves to protect my palms if I put the maxi scooter down.

Between 60-72 degrees I usually wear a light colored heavy long sleeved denim jacket over the shirt. Between 40-60 degrees I wear a brown leather jacket I already owned and sometimes a wool neck scarf tucked into the collar.

I am using ear plugs on long rides just to get helmet wind noise down but am buying another helmet...

I carry a nylon type jacket with high collar and long enough length to go over your butt which is rainproof when I think it might rain and a couple soft rags in the storage areas to keep things clean if need be. I don't bother with keeping my legs rain free as I'm generally not out in it and I won't melt.

No matter how warm it is out I always wear blue jeans...keeps wind down, offers a thick sacrificial layer in an accident and here when you are going 60-70 in the summer some of those darn bugs have hard shells and they hit your helmet or your knees....either is a bother.

Inside the storage I carry one 55 gallon black plastic bag which in an emergency can be used to keep the bike windshield, gauges and seat dry. Not fancy but functional in storms when the bike sits out.

Lance
Lance

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I divide my riding wear into three categories: RAIN, Under 35mph, and Over 35mph

Rain = Rainsuit
Under 35 mph, under 30 minute ride = jeans, no earplugs
Over 35 mph, over 30 minute ride = overpants, earplugs

I'm wondering if I should be wearing my earplugs every time I ride though.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I just got a high-viz windbreaker that's that dayglo yellow green color, like radiactive snot... to offset the beautiful Charcoal gray of the scooter.

I think the snot yellow jacket might be better than a headlight modulator and possibly just as annoying to other drivers.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well, I can now give a report on how well the Aerostich suit holds up when sliding down the road!

About two months ago, an unlicensed driver came suddenly into my lane, hitting my rear, and knocking the Majesty over. Bike and I ended up sliding down the road, with me in front of the bike. I was only going about 25mph.

I fell quite hard. I am sure I would have had a badly bruised or broken hip bone if it wasn't for the hip padding of the Aerostitch.

A little bit of my levi's where sticking out below the Aerostich suit. That part of my pants was completely shredded. Absolutely no damage to the suit, though.

I had on a pair of inexpensive leather work boots. The boots were almost worn through. And unfortunately, the right foot got caught under the bike as we slid, breaking the ankle.

Bottom line: The suit did its job. Without it, I would have had road rash, which would have required a stay in the hospital. Its bad enough having to use crutches for six weeks, but it would have been even worse if I had to deal with the pain of other injury.

The only area of gear I skimped on was my boots, and that was the only thing that got hurt.

For those that wear blue jeans while riding, they have very limited abrasion resistance (see above, where mine shredded).

Bike actually did better than I. Damaged the tupperware only. After sitting for seven weeks, bike started up instantly last Sunday, and rode fine.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give you my reason for advocating good riding gear, and ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time).

Dave

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No apologies accepted, because none are needed! I'm glad you lived to tell the tale! Sorry that happened to you!

$700 for Aerostich < cost of one week care and stay in a U.S. hospital w/o insurance!! What a great investment!

I know what I'll save up for, as I can't as yet tell when an unlicensed, inexperienced driver threatens me until it's too late.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ok, I'm posting on a lot of old stuff, but it's a slow day at work.

I can give a report on how well a First Gear jacket works when you go down. It works good. Torn a small hole in one sleeve, not enough to toss the jacket, but then again my skin is still intact too. My steel toed work boots got worn through to the steel toe in one place, and scuffed up a bit on the other foot, but again not enough to need to be replaced, and all my toes are still there. My gloves and helmet didn't have a scratch on them, nor did my jeans get torn. I did have a couple small spots of road rash on my knees, and I hurt from my neck to my knees, but I wasn't injured.

While I'm sure that armored pants would be much safer than jeans, I'm not going to strip down to my skivies and get dressed all over again, when I get to where I'm going. There are some risks I'm willing to take.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I wear lightweight pants under my armoured pants so I don't have to change down to skivvies. My over-suit is the BMW Santiago, which looks like a rainsuit, but in fact has a fairly open weave so that wind (and water) can blow through it. In winter I change to a wind-proof Tourmaster jacket, but the same pants. In rain, I put light Gore-tec pants over the BMW pants.

Tee-shirt and running shoes don't cut it. Don't cut it at all. It doesn't matter whther you are on a scooter or a GP bike, road rash hurts - it hurts a lot.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.